Dyson analysis worth the extra cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone charges $32 including the TBN. Dyson is now $99.

Is it worth the extra money? What do you get for spending three times as much for the Dyson analysis?

You get a LOT more tests (TAN, KF water, etc.). You also get some fairly thorough, personalized interpretation of the results. I'd recommend giving it a shot at least once.

If you're the kind of guy who just wants to buy whatever good oil is on sale and change it every 3k miles, it's probably not worth it. But if you're really interested to know what's going on, it probably is worth it.

I use Dyson Analysis and I'm very happy with the service.

For the amount of time he puts into the feedback, he really can't charge less unless he wants to do it just for fun. You get a very good analysis and a pretty lengthy mp3 file that walks you through the entire thing. Pretty impressive. I certainly can't justify using him if my Blackstone reports are looking good, but for times when they aren't he's worth giving a try.

It would see OAI is the cheapest. I think they are around $20 which includes TBN. Maybe thats the preferred buyer price, I cannot remember. Anyway certainly less than $35.

I'd think Dyson would be worth it for a long haul trucker or heavy duty equipment. For a passenger vehicle in good shape Blackstone should be plenty.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
You get a LOT more tests (TAN, KF water, etc.). You also get some fairly thorough, personalized interpretation of the results. I'd recommend giving it a shot at least once.

If you're the kind of guy who just wants to buy whatever good oil is on sale and change it every 3k miles, it's probably not worth it. But if you're really interested to know what's going on, it probably is worth it.

I use Dyson Analysis and I'm very happy with the service.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Does the Dyson test through Blackstone come with the gag-order where you can't talk about anything to anyone else?

I would assume so.

You can share the numbers themselves with anyone because they're verifiable by anyone. You're only supposed to keep quiet about his interpretation and advice.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to change the oil sooner like 5 or 7000 miles using a synthetic oil

Terry is great if you need to know all that there is to know via UOA. He's surprised me quite a few times with asking "you don't happen to be doing (fill in the blank)?" ..and sure enough, I was.. and had not included it in the data email exchange. One time he found something that he couldn't explain "at the moment" ..and it bugged him enough that he began asking more questions. Very thorough service.

He correctly speculated that what showed as fuel in Bruce's 0w-10 might not have been fuel ..and the list goes on and on.

If I was just doing a check up, then a B-S, OAI, or anyone else will tell you if the oil's in decent shape, but if you've got a problem, or are out to see a bit more in depth to what's going on, then Terry can't be beat.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to change the oil sooner like 5 or 7000 miles using a synthetic oil

This doesn't detect fuel dilution, glycol leak or whether the oil is suited for an extended run.

"One time he found something that he couldn't explain "at the moment" ..and it bugged him enough that he began asking more questions."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just like Dr. House.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy

For one oil change? Yes.

For every single oil change? Maybe not.

Plus, for 99% of cars, that's a really wasteful proposition. And for the rest, there's probably something wrong with them, or else they're not suitable for street use...

$99 is a lot of money, especially if you're trying to find the right oil for your ride. From what I've read, you would have to run the oil in the car for 2 oil change cycles (for best results), then send a sample. If you're not happy with the results with that oil, change brands, then after 2 runs with that oil sample it. Repeat again if not satisfied. It could cost a few hundred $$$ and take years. I'd go for the $32 test.

AD

If you can dig up some of terry's old posts you'll find you are paying for his database of knowledge. He isn't just telling you the data like a typical analysis does.

that said I've not a huge fan of oil analysis on a typical passenger vehicle but if you've got certain needs it has its place.

""Does the Dyson test through Blackstone come with the gag-order where you can't talk about anything to anyone else?"'

Funny I have many various oil related tests run some $500-700 per shot and most have some interpretation of the results but I have Never been bound to any non dislosure since I paid for the lab "service" I can blab all I want.

Even when the data has comparisons to the labs in house data base.

Then I guess the labs I use are in business to run tests.

Last edited:
When I used Terry (and he found my Head Gasket leak) his cost was $10 over the $12 UOA.

For $22 total I used his services quite a bit.

Sadly, I can not afford him anymore.

His services are excellent. Top notch!

unless you suspect a problem coolant leak etc. the UOA itself is a questionable issue. 99% of the time IMO there is nothing you can do to alter the test results other then change the oil more frequently. High iron, copper etc for the most part are in the genes of the engine and cannot be altered.

Now, if funds are not an issue and you wish to extend your drains then UOA in general can be usefull In general, just change the oil and save the money of not doing the UOA.

I have used Terry's service on several occasions. I also use Blackstone occasionally. Yes, you get a lot more data to use with a Dyson Analysis, but the true value comes with the interpretation and recommendations from Terry. The cost for his work is not out of line with other professionals if you compare hourly fees and testing fees. All I have to do is look at the charges from my cookbook cardiologist to see who's really out of whack in the big scheme of things.

If you are on a tight budget, like most of us, try to target when to use Terry's service. Some examples might be:
-just before warranty expires on newer vehicle.
-suspect you may have a mechanical problem with vehicle.
-tuning a high performance vehicle.
-new to UOA's and want to get an education.
-want a recommendation of lubricants to use in your vehicle.

If you just want data to use for wear trending and oil comparisons on your own, then use the labs that don't offer any useful interpretation or recommendations. Then hurry up and post the data on BITOG so us amateurs can give you an opinion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back