Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of this brand
Came off a buddies 2006 Mazda 3 2.0L auto with about 160k miles on it
Filter was in use for 8mos and cut open today
Oil type unknown
oil was really dirty/black
opened using HF exhaust cutter
last OC was done at a local repair shop(Chicago)
IMAG0283.jpg

nitrile anti-drainback valve was still nice and soft (filter is perfectly vertical on engine)

IMAG0282.jpg

seems like a lot of dirt on the walls of the filter? in the top right of above pic i rubbed a bit with my finger
IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

media was very brittle, it broke with very slight pressure from my finger
IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

Hard to see in the first 2 shots of media, last pic shows it clearly.
The media had torn/separated from the base in 3 spots.
Top and bottom on the right of the seam and on the bottom to the left of the seam.

I initially thought I hit the media with the cutting tool but here were no marks/scratches indicating this.
also if it had been hit by cutting tool it would not have broken at top and bottom of media.

Replaced with a Fram Ultra and M1 0w20 AFE
Air filter was filthy and I had him go buy a purolator from advanceauto

Last edited:
Quote:
Looks like another possible Purolator rebranding. ....

Really? Never seen a Purolator with a coil retainer spring. And as the COO confirms, a China made filter that includes a similar to Driveworks abbreviated Puro numbering system on the can. DW and many other China made filters use a coil retainer.

And I'll bet like the DW, it has no manufacturing relationship to Purolator. But hey it's got torn pleats so let's blame Purolator.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Looks like another possible Purolator rebranding. ....

Really? Never seen a Purolator with a coil retainer spring. And as the COO confirms, a China made filter that includes a similar to Driveworks abbreviated Puro numbering system on the can. DW and many other China made filters use a coil retainer.

And I'll bet like the DW, it has no manufacturing relationship to Purolator. But hey it's got torn pleats so let's blame Purolator.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Thanks for the pics.

I'd say you would be right based on the coil spring which that picture didn't load on my computer initially. But don't you find it interesting that the first cross reference is a Purolator number?

Thanks for cutting it open and posting pics.
When I bought the Maxima, it came with the same brand - same construction filter, just in teacup size (L14612 sized). Unknown mileage, but had no tears or faults that I could detect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac

But hey it's got torn pleats so let's blame Purolator.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

I respect your intelligence on oil and appreciate your contribution to BITOG, but you seem too overly sensitive about Purolator products.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
... But don't you find it interesting that the first cross reference is a Purolator number?

Not at all. As noted, the DW uses an abbreviated version of the Puro numbering system too, is also manufactured in China and has no never been shown to have any Purolator manufactured connection. And in addition to the coil retainer I've never seen any Purolator made filter with a water tested mark on the dome.

And there's also a large PH3614 a Fram number, under the Dynalube label too.

So all things added up, I see no proof of any relation to Purolator manufactured filter. Only thing I see is a China sourced filter very similar in construction the DW, that has a tear.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
.....I respect your intelligence on oil and appreciate your contribution to BITOG, but you seem too overly sensitive about Purolator products.

Guess it's all in your perception. Sure there are some that may percieve others to be overly sensitive about Fram or Wix here too.

Just trying to keep it real and factual here.

I'm guessing a lot of people would share his perception of your view of Purolators, but I'm with you this looks like a Chinese made filter to me.

Thanks for the confirmation vote, I appreciate it. And in this case I sourced the comment immediately implying Purolator at fault here, that might explain the use of sarcasm.

But anyone is welcome to prove where this is Purolator made as speculated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back