Dye Composition in Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a slightly different question - I am trying to figure out the concentration of dye in Royal Purple (and perhaps its chemical make-up). At one point I received some information that there is approxiametely 4 ounces of dye in a 55 gallon drum. However, I am looking for something more definitive.

Would a VOA or some other type of analysis show this? Has anyone done this?

to the best of my knowledge there is no commercially available testing for dye.

May I ask why it is important? It's just a marketing gimmick.

I doubt a VOA would show any dye. Your best bet would be to contact Royal Purple. I know the dye does not last very ling once you start using the oil. It is a chemical petroleum dye and it does not take much in a 55 gal drum. We use to use food coloring back in the good old racing days to make different viscosity oils different colors for identification.

I did and although they told me the ratio earlier, they couldn't do anything definitive (on paper).

Let's just say the dye matters since, if RP is added to diesel fuel, it could make such fuel appear to be offroad dyed diesel fuel.

Purple consists of red and blue dye. So it doesn't matter that it is purple, it consists of red.

As far as why - either pure brilliance or ignorance. That is not the point of my question though since it is what it is.

Well then, I really don't have an answer for you. It must not be very strong dye as after about 100-200 miles of use in the engine, the dye is gone. Now ATF is another story. That's some of the strongest dye on the planet.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
How so? Royal Purple is purple. Off road diesel is red.

If only such things were so clear and easy. Remember, the individual making the critical call will be some form of government bureaucrat.

Particularly right after I came home from active duty back in 07, I was doing a lot of court-appointed defense work. When a case is over, we send a "voucher" with some attachments to Tallahassee to get paid. The vouchers must be signed in blue ink. I had a pack of ODPO brand roller ball pens, which I guess must have been "blue-black" or just dark blue. And you guessed it -- not blue enough for the bureaucrats. So here I am trying to feed my kids, and I've got some government bully messing with me over shades of blue (NOTHING to do with whether I'd done the work...).

This just might be a more realistic question than it appears on the surface.

Generally polyaromayic, nitrogen compounds - molecules look like lots of hexagons connected together.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
You mean it's not PAO? I thought the P was for purple.

There is PAO in Royal Purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back