DVD playback problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I have a Dell Latitude D630 w/XP SP3

DVD playback on this machine was originally smooth as one would expect with PotPlayer & other playback software. Then... I installed Foobar2000 and I think around that time DVD playback got real choppy - almost as if data transfer from the laptop drive is interfering with the playback software.

Both video and audio are affected.

Foobar is not running when I try DVD's.

DirectX tests don't yield anything unusual so I'd like to ask if there is a way to show what audio/video filters are active and/or being used at any given time in XP?

Might this be what is called a "graph"?

The lens maybe dirty, try to blow it gently with compressed air. It helped mine.

Good luck

try playing with VLC. see if it studders.

get VLC HERE

Features
Simple, Powerful and Fast

Plays everything, Files, Discs (DVD, CD, VCD), Devices and Streams

Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed

Completely Free, 0 Spyware, Ads or User Tracking

Best Mpeg2, x264, DivX player

Works on most platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Unix...

Media Converter and Streamer

Last edited:
Tried VLC which also stutters.

I prefer the analysis approach however over throwing darts... there hopefully is a way or method to display the actual codecs that are currently active when playing videos/DVD's along with device data. There only seems to be an issue when data is coming off the DVD drive - not reading for example, .mpg MPEG-4, AVI or WMV files. So it would appear that the source hardware plays a significant role here.

All seems to be quiet in XP's Device Manager with no yellow markers present.

Originally Posted By: RnR
All seems to be quiet in XP's Device Manager with no yellow markers present.

Device Manager doesn't throw a yellow marker if DMA is disabled. If optical drives suffer error's they might disable the DMA setting. In Device Manager check the IDE controllers properties and make sure DMA is enabled for the DVD drive.

Is something scanning or using the drive at the same time...maybe a antivirus scanner or some other software?

if it studders with VLC its not a codec problem. VLC doesnt use codecs.. they are all built into the program.

Try using a linux live cd/dvd and see if it studders.

if it does.. its most likely either a bios setting or hardware issue.

If it doesnt its something in windows fubar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wkcars
Is something scanning or using the drive at the same time...maybe a antivirus scanner or some other software?
Hmmm... I'll have to check that.

Originally Posted By: Rand
if it does.. its most likely either a bios setting or hardware issue.
Yeah, that has been my original assumption - but I'll also have to check to see if there is any software getting in the way...

if you read the rest of my post there is one step to doing so.
using a live linux cd will totally isolate the problem to being software or hardware because it wont use any of your existing software/operating system.

here is a download link.
linux mint

when troubleshooting its alot easier to move in big steps then narrow down vs trying every little step.

Originally Posted By: Rand

here is a download link.
linux mint

when troubleshooting its alot easier to move in big steps then narrow down vs trying every little step.

Interesting... would I need the "full" edition for a try at this? The CD-sized package doesn't appear to do multi-media...

yes you need the live dvd/usb option

you dont have to install it though. you can boot the computer from the dvd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back