DVD copying software...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I got my new IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R60 laptop from Pharmacy school, and it has a dvd re-writable drive, and came with something called Sonic dvd copy, but when I tried to copy a (rental) dvd it said "can't copy; this dvd is copy protected" etc. This software can copy only unprotected media it seems...

...so what kind of software are people using to copy dvd's? are there any free ones? if not, which ones give nest bang for the buck?

Thanks!

I use the combination of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 to copy DVD's. AnyDVD works like a device driver, removing the copy protection so CloneDVD2 can copy the DVD. They both have 21 day fully functional free trials. Get them at www.slysoft.com and try them out.

Thanks, Lyle

I'll try those. I also read that AnyDVD can make the DVD region-free....so: if I use AnyDVD to make a dvd region-free, and then burn (copy) that dvd with CloneDVD, then the copy is region-free?

did you buy those two? if yes, how do you like them so far? any problems in copying dvd's?

I use DVDShrink (It's free). It is no longer under active development, so sometimes new protections give it problems. For that, I use the free DVD Decrypter. Always works great. I just found another program called DVD43, which runs in the background and allows DVDShrink without first extracting files to the harddrive. google will find both programs.

Same here. AnyDVD (as the shim driver) and DVD Shrink. I bought CloneDVD but have yet to use it as the AnyDVD/DVD Shrink combo works well!!

I got DVD shrink and ripped the dvd as .iso files on to my hard drive.

so now I should be able to burn it onto a DVD-R...is that correct? (DVD shrink cannot burn, so what program do you guys use to burn the ripped dvd files?)

edit: well i guess the software that came with the laptop (sonic copy) can/should be able to copy iso images (now that I've ripped the protected files onto my hard drive as .iso file using dvd shrink) that are already on my hard drive...I'll try and let you guys know

EDIT 2:
Yep, it works! I didn't have dvd-r disc, but the program found the .iso file of the movie, and asked me to put in a dvd- blank sic, so I guess it should do the "burn" step, too. will update again.

So for right now, it looks like all I need is DVD shrink, and the built in Sonic sware, but I might try any dvd and clone dvd, just in case I need to burn some euro dvd's to make them region-free. (although DVD shrink has te option to make the saved/ripped image "region-fee"....I did use it; will have to test the burned disc on a dvd player/laptop and see what region it displays)

[ August 20, 2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

I haven't tried DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter. The AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo was the first one I tried, and CloneDVD will transcode and burn all in the same program. I've been using it for at least 3 years and I have not had any problems. Slysoft seems to update AnyDVD frequently, although it has not updated CloneDVD2 for a couple of months now. This combo works for me, so I will stay with it until it breaks.

UPDATE:
First of all, thanks to all of you who gave me infos/tips on dvd software; it reall helped.

So last night i burned the dvd movie succesfully onto a DVD-R discwith the built-in Sonic Copy using the ripped .iso image file.
playing on the laptop, I didn't see any decrease in pic/sound-quality, although I used auto-compression "on" with DVDshrink. I guess I could've turned compression off for even better quality, which I might've noticed with a real dvd player...the dvd player I ordered. (this one) , which I got for 79.00 bucks (they have wrong price on the website) should arrive in 3-4 days...I will see then how eveything goes.....

Your link is not working for me, but I'm guessing it's the Pioneer 393, in which case - good choice! I recommended it to one of my friends at work, he bought it from Newegg and he's thrilled with it, especially that it plays practically anything you throw at it including DivX.

I've got a more fancy Oppo 971 with HDMI output, but so far its potential has been untapped as I haven't gotten around to buying that big plasma TV with HDMI input that I wanted... Looking back, I should have just bought something like that Pioneer.

FYI, my parents have an older Pioneer 470 (also plays DivX), and it's been an excellent player, too.

sorry 'bout the link.

Yes; it's the Pioneer DV-393 s. Glad to hear your (+) feedback, Pete. I know you know your electronics.
Can't wait to get it.

This AudioAdvisor place only carries pretty high-end stuff normally. This pioneer and the DV-490 (only difference from dv-393 is the HDMI output) are the ONLY entry level dvd plyrs they carry. I talked with them and asked them why. Their reply was: " It has the best features and audio/video DAC's for the price, and most of all, they have been the most dependable from all "regular" brands. and for $79.00 I think it's a good deal.

Here's the link again:
Pioneer DV-393s. $79.00

I've always had luck with a DVD decrypting progarm called DVD Decrypter. Guy was in England and they made him take it off his web server and it's no longer being updated. Pitty too, because it was a great program at getting movies to the HD. Sometimes I would just get the movie to the HD and watch it on my computer some other time. Then I used DVD2ONE to change the structure so that it would fit on a 4.7 GB DVD disc.

Finally found a movie I can't decrypt now.. Inside Man. Come to the VTS_01_1.VOB and it simply errors out. The days may soon be comming to an end to get 100% decrypted.
frown.gif

luckily almost all the dvd movies I'd want to have copied someday are from the "old days" which should work with the software I have (DVDShrink/DVD43). I was able to rip "The Interpreter" dvd w/out any problems (as a test), which I think is not too old...(6-7 months??)

I use FabDVD to remove the protection then DVDshrink to make it fit on one disk and finally DVD decrypter to burn it to disk. Perfect copies every time.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back