Dust or something?

Parked in a parking ramp with construction going on overnight a couple days ago. After leaving and running errands noticed my car was covered in a dust like substance. Almost looks like metal flakes or something. Or kind of like sheetrock dust or concrete dust? No idea. Anyway, got a carwash, still there. It comes off with my fingernail but it's all over my car. So that would take 3.5 days to clean off. Tried a microfiber and car soap, that loosened some but not all. It clings really oddly and doesn't seem to rinse off. Any ideas how to remove it? Clay bar? Something else?

Could be concrete dust, no way of knowing from here. Anyway, in order to avoid scratching the finish, I'd try spraying some white vinegar on an area first, then rinse off. It might do the trick.

No, I would use a clay bar if you are trying to address a serious contamination issue. Clay bar's are more effective in these situations.

If it turns out to be concrete, try Back-Set:

Always start with the least aggressive measure first. If that doesn't work, you can always increase. OP has not ID'd the substance yet. There are different levels of clay bars and nanoskins.

Always start with the least aggressive measure first. If that doesn't work, you can always increase. OP has not ID'd the substance yet. There are different levels of clay bars and nanoskins.
I wasn't addressing the issue of aggressiveness. Clay is both more effective and less damaging than Nanoskin; clay is less likely to leave marring. Nanoskin has an advantage in service life and efficiency.

For this type of contamination I would wonder if a good rinsing followed by a foam cannon treatment would help? Get rid of as much contaminant as possible before going to manual removal.

The possibility of metallic dust is worrisome. Can the OP park somewhere else until the construction is done?

Yes, Mother's clay bar kit should be perfect for this. About 20 bucks and an hour of your time roughly.
Clay bar, detailer and microfiber towels. Mothers puts together a kit that’s pretty good.
Just got this and it took 90% of the dust or whatever off. Plan on another full hand wash tomorrow or Tuesday and then some TW hybrid ceramic. Pretty amazing how well it worked. There was so much had to go over multiple times but looks ok now. Will probably clay again in a few weeks. Thanks everyone!

Just got this and it took 90% of the dust or whatever off. Plan on another full hand wash tomorrow or Tuesday and then some TW hybrid ceramic. Pretty amazing how well it worked. There was so much had to go over multiple times but looks ok now. Will probably clay again in a few weeks. Thanks everyone!
I knew you would get good results. The Mothers Gold Kit is available at many stores.

I knew you would get good results. The Mothers Gold Kit is available at many stores.
After picking at it with my fingernail and my wife saying "what is your car covered in?" I was shocked how easily I got most of it off. I'm sold on clay, never took my car washes and such to that level before, but will a couple times per year now. Even some old tree sap came off!

After picking at it with my fingernail and my wife saying "what is your car covered in?" I was shocked how easily I got most of it off. I'm sold on clay, never took my car washes and such to that level before, but will a couple times per year now. Even some old tree sap came off!
There are better brands out there however, they will need to be ordered from online detailing supply companies. For quick pick up locally, Walmart and auto parts stores usually carry the Mother’s Kit and the Meguiar’s Kit. The Mother’s Kit is better.

Back