Durango 4.7 a dog in cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks I've been running M1 5w30 in my 02 Durango 4.7 162k miles since I bought it at 130k. It runs really smooth on the M1 bbut last winter I noticed some rough sounding start up noise. This year the noise seems to have gotten worse, it only lasts the first few seconds on start up but idles a little rough until fully warm. After that it runs smooth like normal. The noise isn't necessarily a knock, is just like excessive vibration noise. Kinda hard to describe. Should I consider running different oil in the winter? I'm traveling in Tennessee right now and my truck definitely doesn't like the colder weather. Thanks for any info. Also open to trying oil or fuel tank additives if it might help.

Last edited:
Look elsewhere. The oil is not your problem. It has nothing to do with your engine running smooth or rough.

For a gas additive look for something with PEA, like Chevron Pro Guard.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

For a gas additive look for something with PEA,

I can pee in it, no need to buy something I can get for free.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

For a gas additive look for something with PEA,

I can pee in it, no need to buy something I can get for free.
grin.gif

I think you've discovered your problem.

The rough idle could be a dirty Idle Air Control Valve. The noise...everyone's perception is different. One person's "loud" is another's normal. My Dakota has a little top end noise upon could start no matter what the exterior temperature. Get some mass air flow or throttle body cleaner, clean out the throttle body and IAC valve, and see if that cures the rough idle. As for the noise, I've heard Mobil 1 can be "noisy", but I have no first hand experience with it. Some add packs seem to provide more sound deadening, but I don't know if I'd change brands just because of noise. Worst case scenario, you could have timing chain issues, but I'd imagine you would know if you did. As other's mentioned, you might try a new filter. Best of luck, the 4.7 is a good engine if you keep the maintenance up.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
chech the belt tensioner those 5.2 engines (318) should outlive that truck 3 lifetimes.

What does the old 318 have to do with the OP's 4.7?

Don't bother with a different oil or filter. Neither are your problem. The MC will offer no advantages over the M1 you already have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back