Duramax Van 2007 Purchased

Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Dexron LV/HP is not applicable to any other units besides the 8L45E & 8L90E, Whether or not it will cause issues is anyone's guess.

Thanks Cline. I saw on some vendor sites that HP was backwards compatible with Dex VI but i guess i won't experiment. This van has a re manufactured trans with a case stamped 24208421 and that seems to correlate to a 4l80e. Does a 4L85E use the same case? Maybe this thing is just gonna blow up soon and will need to be upgraded so i'l leave fluid alone.

The only difference between a 4L80E & a 4L85E is the Reaction & Output Carriers, The 80E uses 4 Pinions & the 85E uses 5 Pinions. They use the same case.

The 4L80E has a max input torque rating of 440 ft lbs, And 460 ft lbs for the 85E. But GM was putting 455 ft lbs through 4L80E's in the 8.1L (L18) equipped 2500 Suburbans & Avalanches for 2001 & 2002 model years......Though they were GVWR limited.

I've built several 4L80E's for 3500 DRW Cab & Chassis Duramax vans because the 4L85E weren't salvagable.....The 4 pinion carriers are not & never were an issue.
Torque rise killing the Direct Clutches, TCC lining burn-up, Forward Clutch failure from forward drum bushing wear allowing the Turbine Shaft to destroy the sealing ring lands in the forward drum, And Overdrive Roller Clutch failures are the main issues which also afflict the 4L85E.

Everything besides Forward Drum bushing wear can be mitigated with modifications. Even the damaged caused by bushing wear can be mitigated by machining the forward drum ring lands oversize & running oversized sealing rings.

TCC lining wear can be relieved NOW with HP-Tuners also allowing you to block the EGR & turn off the EGR DTC's.....Killing 2 birds with one stone!

Thanks again for the great info Cline. I would totally be down for a conservative tune for this thing. It seems HP tuners is more of a DIY thing?

Most professional Duramax tuners prefer EFI Live, While LSx & other GM gas engine tuners prefer HP Tuners.

I don't dabble in diesel performance tuning, I tune GM transmissions professionally & know how to delete the EGR DTC's as I have a LBZ Duramax with a blocked EGR.

Some of the best LSx & Duramax tuners don't know how to tune transmission files correctly! They think just because you set a certain parameter that the trans will react to it exactly.....They forget or just don't know the Hydraulics & Clutch application lead times involved. For example.....You want the WOT 1-2 shift to happen at 3400 RPM & 40 MPH......I might have to set it at 3100 RPM & 35 MPH for the shift to actually take place at the desired RPM/MPH.

EFI Live V2 is $900 includes 2 VIN licenses, HP Tuners VCM Suite MPVI2 with 2 credits (1 VIN licence) is $400. Both are about the same functionality wise.

EFI Live will have ALOT more Duramax tunes to download while HP Tuners has more LSx tunes to download.....Of course these downloads are used at your own risk!

Back