Duramax Fuel Filter Life - go past 50% Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading some of the Duramax forums, and see very often the recommendation to change the fuel filter when the computer says it has 50% of its life left.

I don't want to cheap out on maintenance, but this filter costs $60 around here, and I'm surprised by the 50% recommendation.

Can anybody weigh in on whether it is necessary to be THAT conservative?

I buy my diesel at a Petro-Canada station (a very reputable top tier gas station).

top tier gas has nothing to do with diesel :)

Is this a DI diesel with a HPFP? If so, it may well be more sensitive to flow and particulates as well as pressure drop.

Filters perform best once a "cake" of particles has formed on the media. However, if there is a very strong lift pump or something else, excessive pressure drop due to a cake may create bypass someplace and then issues.

Probably given the cost of some of these parts, better safe than sorry...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
top tier gas has nothing to do with diesel :)

Is this a DI diesel with a HPFP? If so, it may well be more sensitive to flow and particulates as well as pressure drop.

Filters perform best once a "cake" of particles has formed on the media. However, if there is a very strong lift pump or something else, excessive pressure drop due to a cake may create bypass someplace and then issues.

Probably given the cost of some of these parts, better safe than sorry...

I will defer to some of the more informed duramax owners on this board as for the particulars, but it is the most up-to-date version of the Duramax engine (LMM). I'm not sure whether the computer measures fuel volume and assumes a certain amount of contamination, or whether it measures differential pressure. If it is the latter, then I'd be more inclined to run it out a little further.

On the other hand, your point is well taken about expensive equipment. I'm weighing that against the conservativeness of the GM OLM, and I'd expect the filtration algorythm to be equally conservative, so that I wouldn't need to cut it's recommenations in half.

In any case, the idea behind buying diesel at a reputable company that is considered "top tier" for gas (one of only 3 such companies in my area) would be the likelihood (assumed) that they would take similar care with their diesel manufacturing. It pains me to buy at Petro Can though.

I would go the full 100% on the filter.

Filters are changed too frequently,IMO. I use air filters for 60k km(38k mi) now on my pu trucks, whereas I was previously changing them when they appeared a little dirty at 25k km(16k mi). I started using filter restriction gauges and that is when I realized that just because a filter appears a little dirty on the surface did not mean that it was significantly restricting air flow. I have cut open fuel filters on MD trucks with 50k km(31k mi) on them and there was no visible debris on the filter elements. At work, the MD trucks go 200k km(125k mi) on their air filters.

You need to find out how the ECM determines filter life.

Originally Posted By: George7941

Filters are changed too frequently,IMO.

Ever had to change a gelled fuel filter on the side of the road at -30?
Not something you want to run too long.

The latest OEM Duramax filters are supposed to be in the 3-5 micron range.
It's not unheard of for these to plug up in under 5K.

Fuel quality is the biggest factor.
Look for a newer high volume station to avoid getting junk fuel.
How many Miles are you at when the monitor reaches 50%?

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Originally Posted By: George7941

Filters are changed too frequently,IMO.

Ever had to change a gelled fuel filter on the side of the road at -30?
Not something you want to run too long.

The latest OEM Duramax filters are supposed to be in the 3-5 micron range.
It's not unheard of for these to plug up in under 5K.

Fuel quality is the biggest factor.
Look for a newer high volume station to avoid getting junk fuel.
How many Miles are you at when the monitor reaches 50%?

Don't know yet. Only had the vehicle about 5k kms. I didn't record the filter life then.

I buy my fuel at a busy large Petro Can in calgary. It's high volume for a city location, but low volume compared to a truck stop.

You make a good point though. I'll change it at the end of the summer. Definitely don't want to be stuck in the cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back