Duramax Bypass Filter DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 31000miles on my 06 and will probably run it past 400 like my PSD. I plan on running Schaeffers 15 40 and running my change intervals out as long as posible.

I find the cost of these bypass systems ridiculous and usually DIY stuff.

I would like to DIY a bypass for the oil and tranny and add a tranny cooler with a fan as well as a Engine oil cooler.

Does anyone have any DIY on these?

awesome the exact info i was looking for

Thanks

I would like to piece together the same for my fuel and tranny do you have any info there?

The only thing I would watch out for if doing it yourself is this, make sure to find a filter that is actually going to do some good. Other than the Amsoil filter, I am unaware of any other spin ons with decent micron ratings. I looked into doing the same thing myself. I found several other DIY'ers that had made "bypass kits" using 10-15 micron filters. While they may help, they might not be any better than the full flow filter.

I agree with Cody. In the spin on realm, you might find some relatively inexpensive hydraulic filters slightly below 10um but that's about it. IMO, if you aren't going to filter below 10um, it's hardly worth the effort to piece a system together. All you are doing is to increase the contaminant capacity of the filtration system and that is largely unnecessary. With diesel, one of the major condemnation elements for the oil is soot levels and you need very fine filtration to have a big effect on that.

What are your target OCIs? That will pretty much dictate what you need. If your driving cycle is good, a OCI >8k is very possible with a Dmax with no special precautions.

The trans already has a filter but there are some better, more efficient filters you can install but I have not researched them. Pretty much, I don't think the trans needs much help filtrationwise. For the most part, anything you might add is redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back