Duramax 10000 watt generator oil grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in the 16 hp engine today. The manual calls for 10 - 30. I had a a brain snap and grabbed a bottle of 10 - 40 Castrol conventional. Poured it in when I'm cleaning up I look at the label and realize it was wrong. Does it matter? Will it be hard starting in the cold temperatures? I'm inclined to drain it and put that oil in my car and put in the right grade. Am I being annal retentive?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think this is where good ole Castrol 0W30 would work best.

Normally I would agree. However the manual only specifies . 10 xx. I have a qt of peak 5-30 synthetic in my stash would that be enough protection at start up on a cold day? Normal winter temps are 10° f to 30° f. I'm not real experienced with small engines. But I know small variables sometimes make a big difference. Remember I'll be starting this at 2 am, in the dark, in driving sleet... or something like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame

Normally I would agree. However the manual only specifies . 10 xx. I have a qt of peak 5-30 synthetic in my stash would that be enough protection at start up on a cold day? Normal winter temps are 10° f to 30° f. I'm not real experienced with small engines. But I know small variables sometimes make a big difference. Remember I'll be starting this at 2 am, in the dark, in driving sleet... or something like that.

If you want easy cold starting then you want Castrol 0W 30.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

If you want easy cold starting then you want Castrol 0W 30.

At 10K watts, it has to be electric start.

Run it 1/2 as long as you would normally so you see some use. I assume you change oil in your generators due to age not engine hours?

There's all kinds of shavings etc in small engine used oil that I wouldn't put it in a car or anything expensive.

How would he experience better cold starting properties in Pennsylvania? It doesn't get that cold there does it?

As mentioned, the 10w40 is fine this go around. Is there any chance you could store it in a heated garage? That would eliminate your "cold" issue completely.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How would he experience better cold starting properties in Pennsylvania? It doesn't get that cold there does it?

As mentioned, the 10w40 is fine this go around. Is there any chance you could store it in a heated garage? That would eliminate your "cold" issue completely.

-20 degree Fahrenheit is the coldest that we get and that was back in 1993. -10 degree Fahrenheit is more common. Even at warmer temperatures Castrol 0W 30 will be easier to crank. I put Castrol 0W 30 in our generator with a 10 HP Tecumseh engine and my brother commented on how much easier the engine cranked when he pulled on the rope, and it was not anywhere near -10 F.

Coldest temps here are 5 to 30 probably most of the worst is around 15. It is electric start. Btw I have never used the pull cord to start. Maybe I'll leave it in there then on a cold day when it's not a power outage I'll start it. If it's a problem I'll switch to a lighter grade.
Thanks y all.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Ummmmmmm heated garage! I keep it in the garage but no heat. I'm getting that I will be probably fine this go round.

Coldest temps here are 5 to 30 probably most of the worst is around 15.

I distinctly remember temps in the -10 range last season. I was doing work in Buckingham, PA and it was easily in that temp area. It was an anomaly, but it still happens in the area. I was running 2 cycle last year with minimal problems. Using 5W or 0W is well within the range of easy pull starting considering I ran 5W in -30 temps in the Lake Ontario area when I lived there.

Coldest temps here are 5 to 30 probably most of the worst is around 15. It is electric start. Btw I have never used the pull cord to start. Maybe I'll leave it in there then on a cold day when it's not a power outage I'll start it. If it's a problem I'll switch to a lighter grade.
Thanks y all.

I cant see a 0w oil performing any better than a 5w oil at these temps. Keep in mind, some 0w oils are thicker at these temps than a 5w so any likely difference is all in ones head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back