Duralast Max Ceramic Pads Photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to share some pictures of Autozone's Duralast Max DGC1391. These are common rear pads on Toyota/Lexus van and suv. The pads comes with nitrile rubber shims to eliminate noise, brake hardware, pack of grease and are Made in India. Picked these up for a steal price and comes with lifetime warranty so I figured I give them a try.

I looked up the AMECA edge marking code on the shim - "DB 8572 FF" and it came back to Roulunds Braking ApS as the manufacturer. They are also the manufacturer of Advance Auto Parts platinum pads and probably a few other auto parts store house brands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also for comparison, photo compared to Akebono Pads in the same pad size. The Duralast Max has no chamfered edges and more surface area compared to the Akebono.

[Linked Image]

And link to AMECA Edge Codes in case you wanted to know who manufacturers your brake pads
smile.gif

AMECA List of Friction Edge Codes, DEC. 2019

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Is Made in India better than Made in China?

Yes. No.

Both countries are more than capable of making high quality parts.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Whats the price difference compared to the Akebonos?

Akebono ACT1391 go for around $49 on Amazon and Rockauto as of now. These were $31.99 originally. I paid $24.99+tax after the $7 off $30 coupon on these at Autozone so about a $20 difference. I ended up picking up both front and rear sets for set - with Lifetime Warranty.

Not sure if they are phasing out the Max line or switching suppliers, but prices on the MAX were cheaper than the Duralast Gold. They may be on clearance I suppose. The prices online are also not accurate. I have been monitoring them since the beginning of the new year and they have doubled back now to $57.99 but if you call the store, I verified it was the same closeout price I initially saw at the beginning of the year which was $31.99.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by atikovi
Is Made in India better than Made in China?

Yes. No.

Both countries are more than capable of making high quality parts.

And Roulunds has been making friction for a long time - they are an OEM to Volvo and Saab. They were known as Dan-Block and made their pads in Denmark where they are headquartered.

Roulunds is a MAT brand - they also own the rights to the Bendix Brakes brand from Honeywell/Garrett. All of those are made in China or India now.

Originally Posted by Audios
Installed a set of Jurids made in India today with very very similar packaging. Also a Honeywell company.

Honeywell sold a good bit of their friction business to Federal-Mogul/Tenneco recently - they still are involved with Bendix Mintex in Australia. Only the Bendix name in the US/Canada/Mexico has been licensed out to MAT.

Well come on people, they are Official Nascar Brakes, it says right on the box. Why wouldent you want race car brakes.

Obviously can't say for all applications however for my last Akebono ProAct ACT787 Ultra Premium, current ~$41 Amazon shipped price. The Akebono Performance Ceramic ASP787 Rock Auto price before shipping ~$57-59 depending on if hardware included. Amazon price shipped no hardware, ~$69. I'm assuming topic pads equivalent to the Performance Ceramic. I'm seeing AZ price of ~$56 for DCG787 including hardware.

The Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium always have been fine for me, I'd consider myself an average driver.

The chamfers are for noise. Yes, the Autozone pad may have more surface area but the lack of chamfers will increase the possibility of noise.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The chamfers are for noise. Yes, the Autozone pad may have more surface area but the lack of chamfers will increase the possibility of noise.

This. I pad slapped a set for a customer. He brought them in for all corners. Said they were squeaky pads at initial bite and when coming to a dead stop. He couldn't stand it and we replaced them out a month later for regular Golds.

Originally Posted by The Critic

This has been my experience too. Pads with chamfers generally produce no noise. Pads without chamfers will make noise at some point.

Sam

I'm curious if the nitrile rubber shims will hold up to the vibrations between pad and piston, unless that textured outer edge is actually metal.

Thanks for sharing.

If you look at the Max pads box, pads 'appear' to be chamfered. So the disclaimer also on box " visual graphic may not depict actual product" appropriate.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I'm curious if the nitrile rubber shims will hold up to the vibrations between pad and piston, unless that textured outer edge is actually metal.

Thanks for sharing.

rubberized shims are nothing new - it's been used on the OEM level by Honda and Toyota. Nucap has been pushing their multi-layed NRS shims for a while to the aftermarket. EBC uses them.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Obviously can't say for all applications however for my last Akebono ProAct ACT787 Ultra Premium, current ~$41 Amazon shipped price. The Akebono Performance Ceramic ASP787 Rock Auto price before shipping ~$57-59 depending on if hardware included. Amazon price shipped no hardware, ~$69. I'm assuming topic pads equivalent to the Performance Ceramic. I'm seeing AZ price of ~$56 for DCG787 including hardware.

The Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium always have been fine for me, I'd consider myself an average driver.

You have to call the store to check if they are on the closeout price. Online is incorrect. I am not really a fan of Akebono pads - they have less initial bite, leave pad deposits on the rotors and do not last very long in my experience. They do however excel well in everything else - less dust, no noise, perfect fit and made in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back