Duraglossed 2 months ago...what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2008 Silver Prius that waxed/sealed in September. I used Duragloss cleaner #101, sealant #105, then finished with aquawax #951. Now that the waether is still fairly nice, I feel like I should reseal it.

Do I just continue with the #951, or #105 with the #951 finish, or do the full 3 steps again?

I gotta say, this was the first time using Duragloss. Thee shine was what I expected, but the real surprise was how much cleaner my car looked between car washes. I'm very impressed.

I would just use the wax. It would be redundant to use the sealer without the polish first, and if you just polished three months ago it may be overkill. Personally I would just wax it and not be worried for a few months. Then do the three step process all over again, with maybe the inclusion of a clay bar before the polishing. I try to stick to a twice a year clay/polish, but wax all through the year.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Were it mine it would get #105 again and maintain with the AquaWax.

Forgive me if I'm looking at this the wrong way, but isn't the 105 used to seal the polish that you did? It's always been my understanding that you used a sealant after polishing to "seal" the polish and protect the finish longer, hence not having to polish as often and thereby protecting your paint that much longer.

If you were to use the sealant on top of nothing, you would just be sealing in the dead wax and oxidation, something I'm sure is not good for the finish, hence my comment that sealant without polish would be redundant.

Topping off with AW would be fine. Another coat of 105 would also be fine. I wouldn't do all three again until next Spring.

There's a debate on Autopia awhile ago. According to Duragloss, 105 has more cleaning ability than 101. If that's the case, there would really be no benefit in layering it, or using one after another.

In reference to above, 101 is not a pure Polish. It's more of an AIO.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Were it mine it would get #105 again and maintain with the AquaWax.

Forgive me if I'm looking at this the wrong way, but isn't the 105 used to seal the polish that you did? It's always been my understanding that you used a sealant after polishing to "seal" the polish and protect the finish longer, hence not having to polish as often and thereby protecting your paint that much longer.

If you were to use the sealant on top of nothing, you would just be sealing in the dead wax and oxidation, something I'm sure is not good for the finish, hence my comment that sealant without polish would be redundant.

The paint already has a coat of sealant on it. Fortifying it with an additional coat of #105 sealant can only be beneficial going into the winter. AquaWax (another sealant) will additionally fortify the two coats of #105.

The poor wording on some of DG's products adds to the confusion. #105 is no more a polish than I am a millionare! A polish is abrasive and applied by machine with abrasive pads or wool. The purpose is to remove everything from the surface leaving it bare and pristine. At that point it is time to apply a sealant for maximum adhesion and durability. Aqua Wax contains no wax, it is sealant. Learning to translate what the manufacturers put on their labels is part of the detailing profession and requires a lot of footwork. Machine polishing was never mentioned by the thread originator so I saw no reason to bring it up.

According to the person I spoke with at Dura Gloss the #105 CAN be layered but more than two coats has a diminishing return. If nothing else another layer should assure 100% coverage.

That makes better sense to me now then. I was under the impression that the 101 was a dedicated polish. I've used the 105/Aquawax combo but I used a Meguiar's polish to start. One problem I have with Detail products is the loose colloquialism that the industry uses. One mans polish is another mans wax, so the saying goes.

I think there is a bonding agent to use before 105 which gives even greater durability/gloss. I forget the product number. been using duragloos products on my BMw for about 2 years. Work very well.

Last edited:
That would be product #601. It needs to go on a perfectly clean & prepped surface to work at its optimum prior to #105 being applied atop it.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
That makes better sense to me now then. I was under the impression that the 101 was a dedicated polish. I've used the 105/Aquawax combo but I used a Meguiar's polish to start. One problem I have with Detail products is the loose colloquialism that the industry uses. One mans polish is another mans wax, so the saying goes.

#101 is a chemical cleaner & sealant in one and they call it.....a polish! They do make good products but polish is a favorite word of someone there at DG. I also wish the industry would adopt standard (and accurate) wording for products instead of using whatever word they think will appeal to the masses. Another example is Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0. It contains zero wax and is a sealant......the list goes on.

How do I know these things? By frequenting several detailing forums and calling the company in question when in doubt.

They do this because the mass majority of OTC people don't know or care the difference between a "wax" or "polish". They just know it makes their car look better than it did before applying it. Before being turned on to autopia and this forum, I used to think that all wax created tons of dust, stained trim, and was a "bear" to remove. This was based on my use of 2 bottles of Zymol Cleaner Wax (Costco) over several years. That stuff smells good enough to drink, and it creates a nice shine, but there's so many better alternatives once you educate yourself, and try. Autopia tought me a lot (just like BITOG). It's funny, because "Zaino is to Autopia" as "Mobile 1 is to BITOG". There's many diebard followers, and the rest are haters (he he). Things may have changed, I haven't been on their much in the past 6 months.

I used to frequent Autopia as well, and there is a good deal of knowledge to be found there. It's just like here though where a group of people start touting certain brands as "the holy grail" of detail products and anything before or after is garbage. Once everybody drinks the same Kool-aid it just turns into a peeing match.

You do not see much Zaino discussion on Autopia these days. It is still the best forum in terms of broad product discussion without minimum limits so some topics do get hot. Some people are passionate but usually you can often get something out of discussions. You just do not see people talking using Nu Finish at Autopia.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
You do not see much Zaino discussion on Autopia these days.

That's because there was a concerted effort to eliminate the Zaino advocates from the community so they would not conflict with the introduction of Ultima, which Autopia owners directly positioned against Zaino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back