Durablend or Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
MNgopher: "Bror - you have done a good job of explaining your reasoning. You are not who I cite when I say blind brand loyalty."

OK thanks, but I'm not the only one. I'd say the people who spit out a brand name in a Pavlovian response are well outnumbered by more thoughtful/informed participants here. On other forums, the knee-jerk brand response is just as you initially described above.

Back to oil, I'm sorry, but I can't really speak too much to the cold-cranking issue of mineral oils. I think that it's asking quite a lot of Group II, II+ and III blends to get them to perform superbly in -30F weather. I guess I'd recommend JonS to go to a full (real) synthetic during the coldest winter months, even if he switched back to a mineral oil for the remaining 8-9 months of the year.

"Please, don't wag a finger in my face."

Please don't take the graemlins so seriously.
nono.gif

wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

And there you go... Splitting hairs at 5400 on the DB and "upper 5400's" on the Pennzoil - take that to mean 5500 if rounded off. Still good!

Why can't Pennzoil just post that information on the data sheet instead of just indicating it meets the 5w requirements. Especially here when the numbers are superior to most of the dino competition!

A frustration we see with nearly every oil companies data sheets - they never tell the whole story!

offtopic.gif

For all the talk about how Synthetics are required when its cold, I think folks on this board would be VERY surprised at how little syn oil gets used, even in a climate like MN. Only the die-hards go that route. Everyone else uses the old 5w and 10w dino oils, and we don't see mass failure yet - though the body cancer tends to shorten car life prematurely! That isn't to say a syn wouldn't result in better UOA numbers, but does say that they aren't a requirement, IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Royal Purple is not a blend.

True, but with the way it thins out, you'd think it was a conventional. I'm sorry to keep digging at this one fact, but it just bothers me so much that RP 5w30 dropped from 11.4 to 8.8cst in my wife's car in 2600 miles, but if you look at Mobil 1 5w30, Amsoil 5w30, Schaeffer Oil 5w30, Redline 5w30 and GC 0w30, they all stay within 0.5 of their starting viscosity. Something is definitely wrong with this picture, especially when RP 10w30 thins out too, a 10w30 synthetic should not change viscosity much at all. I know it's wear numbers we should be looking at, but what happens in the long term if you use an oil that thins out so severely? A dirty engine I bet. There HAS TO BE some side effects of this.

Well, i just got 6 quarts of Pennzoil at Walmart for $1.50/qrt. I switched to sae 30 Pennzoil in my boat (5.0 liter w/4bbl)last month, and it runs so smooth and nice i can't believe it. I like the -44f pour point and 5400 ccs at -30 for 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back