Duo therm oil stove

I have a 1950s duo therm oil stove that had been working great for years in my cabin. recently I’ve been getting puff packs when it’s windy and a lot more soot in the fire pot the only thing that’s changed was I switched from kerosene to fuel oil.
I’m wondering if I’m loosing draw with the fuel oil burning in high wind.
Any thoughts??

Sounds like it's burning too rich. Soot may be choking the interior of the vent connector thus reducing draft. Do you have a barometric draft control on the flue?

Yes I do have a barometric damper on the stove. When it’s really windy the damper sometimes opens almost all the way with the gusts. That is when I’ve had the issue.
I switched from kerosene to fuel oil because I got tired of hauling kerosene in 5 gallon containers. I can get the fuel oil delivered for free with a lot less hassle as well as cheaper.
Whats the best way to clean the vent connector in your opinion… going through the door works ok but it’s a real pain and difficult to clean completely.
3005D7E2-345B-4181-B88A-DAAA541F0D20.jpeg
3005D7E2-345B-4181-B88A-DAAA541F0D20.jpeg

As you can see and maybe have experienced, not much room to work and no visibility once you have your arm jammed in to clean.

Attachments

• 1594ACC8-B21F-49F5-9EA9-D0428C062335.jpeg
    1594ACC8-B21F-49F5-9EA9-D0428C062335.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 26
Yes I do have a barometric damper on the stove. When it’s really windy the damper sometimes opens almost all the way with the gusts. That is when I’ve had the issue.
I switched from kerosene to fuel oil because I got tired of hauling kerosene in 5 gallon containers. I can get the fuel oil delivered for free with a lot less hassle as well as cheaper.
Whats the best way to clean the vent connector in your opinion… going through the door works ok but it’s a real pain and difficult to clean completely. View attachment 81169View attachment 81169
It's designed for heating oil but since kero is cleaner it probably was less noticeable. Check your chimney cap and get a chimney brush on flexible rods. Run a powerful shopvac in the firebox while cleaning. Oil soot is much worse than wood.

I’m looking for a service manual for my old duo therm oil stove.
I can’t find anything online, if anyone has any resources that would be great.

Geez i haven't seen one of these oil burners since the 70s.
If i remember correctly there is no burner to clean just the pot ?
And the one we had was gravity fed i remember lighting it with and old piece of wire with toilet paper wrapped around the end.

Did you ask the local oil companies if they deliver #1 oil? It's used in stationary "monitor" KeroSuns and small oil furnaces typically found in mobile homes.

I have #1 fuel oil delivered from a local company for the stove.
I was having a puff back issue but I think I have that resolved by adding another section off chimney pipe to improve the draw.
I am looking for a service manual so I can pull it apart and give it a really good cleaning.
I would like to pull out the burn pot and go through the carburetor… any advice or links to a manual would be appreciated.

Back