Dunlop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over generalization,, Tend to separate after mileage goes 70K+. Tread will outlast internal components. But I'd not really consider that a problem!!\

Bob

That's like asking "3M - any problems?" Dunlop makes a ton of different tires. I'd suggest being more specific or else the responses you get will be quite useless.

Once you know which Dunlop tire you're interested in, you may also browse through its user reviews on TireRack. Now, I wouldn't bet my life on those reviews, but it's a start. TR also has some internal test results available.

Goodyear, owns them these days. They made good High Performance Tires, when I used them, still do.
burnout.gif
burnout.gif

For a truck 255/70R/16. I read some reviews on Tirerack. Didn't seem bad, maybe poorer treadwear?

I'm looking at more of a passenger tire type tread as opposed to off road/heavy duty tread.

Most of my miles are highway, would like a better ride and more MPGs.

Groucho,

I had a lot of problems with a set of Max performance summer (SP 9000) tires made by Dunlop. Those are, however, a far cry from a set of truck tires. I am currently looking at a set of Dunlop's (RVXT's) to replace my OEM Firestones on my 04 Tacoma. I have heard that there is a balancing issue with these, the same issue I had with the SP 9000's.

BTW, never had a problem with 3M.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wantin150:
Groucho,
I had a lot of problems with a set of Max performance summer (SP 9000) tires made by Dunlop.

This is my 4th season with SP 9000. No problems so far. Great wet handling, average dry handling, ok comfort and noise for a performace tire.
I run separate winter tires.

Dunlop is a very good tire, but tends to wear rather quickly. I've had better luck with Metzeler as far as wear. (regarding motorcyle tires only).

Personal opinion on Dunlop SP A2:

3 of the 4 set had sidewall cracks and structual damaged that poped at 70k miles +/- 3k miles.

The replacement went out of round within 30k miles. Both set came from different vendor (discount tires direct, and just tires) 3 years apart, so I rule out distributor or batch issues.

They are not good IMO. My Winstar Phaser Chinese tires that cost $55 mounted from local tire dealers beat the **** out of them.

I have SP A2s on my 83 300D... actually its the second set. My father has had two sets on his 94 toyota previa. Each set lasts about 35-40K, but they perform well throughout. The tread is very soft, I suppose to be able to meet the AA traction and H speed rating. This causes a strange wear pattern, evidenced on both sets on both the MB and toyota. Does not seem to effect performance, however.

price is right, performance evenin snow is quite good. Given the soft tread, if you live in a perpetually hot area, theyre probably not the best choice.

JMH

Hopefully the set of Dunlop Direzza summer tires I just got holds up alright. I'm honestly not expecting them to, just because I'm not going to be kind to them (I need to take the heat off of my poor Yokohama AVID TRZ all-seasons!). I bought them because they looked OK and they were the cheapest tire in the size and style I wanted.

oh thats a good metric to use, especially when you profess that you wont be kind to them...
rolleyes.gif

Just dont loose control coming my way.

JMH

My Dunlop SP8000 225/45-16's failed with 10,000 miles and I got totally screwed by Dunlop. Tread was perfect, inflation was perfect.

Failure was the sidewall failed internally on 2 tires. I couldn't trust the other two tires so I bought 4 new tires ...and NOT Dunlop.

JHZR2, it's a great metric to use. I autocrossed on my last set of high-performance all-seasons (Potenza RE950s), so we'll see how the Dunlops compare. I'm perfectly kind to my car on public roads, with no moving violations of any kind, ever. In fact I drive like an old man - once you start running track days and autocrosses driving like a **** on the street is pretty pointless. I do appreciate your concern, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back