Dunlop Winter Maxx-02

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2017...inter-tire-grip

Quote:
...Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. (SRI) has launched a studless winter tire in Japan using a liquid rubber developed by Japanese supplier Kuraray Co. Ltd. as a performance-enhancing additive.

The tire, the Dunlop Winter Maxx 02, uses the newly developed polymer in compounds that yield improved ice -grip performance at low temperatures, while impeding the hardening of rubber compounds over time…

The liquid rubber (LFR) uses “farnesene,” a diene monomer developed by U.S. biotech company Amyris Inc. through the fermentation of sugar cane, according to Kurary, which said it will continue to optimize the material’s molecular design to develop new applications…

Explaining the technology further, Kuraray stated: “Due to its optimal molecular weight, LFR reacts completely with solid rubber during vulcanization, meaning, unlike an oil, which would migrate to the rubber’s surface over time and thus impede hardening, it stays bonded. Therefore, its ice-grip performance is maintained over the long term…

“LFR possesses a highly branched brush-like structure with molecular chains that do not easily become entangled with one another. In addition, a highly reactive double bond on the end of each branch ensures that, when vulcanized, LFR completely reacts with solid rubber and solidifies.”

Sounds like the tire doesn't harden over time, could be interesting for people who run the the same winter tires for years.

Dunlop always had good winter tires. Good year and Dunlop for a long time were leaders when it comes to winter tires in ADAC testing, but Continental took over number 1 spot like decade ago.
From design point of view, this tire will have good traction in straight line, but cornering will not be like true directional tire like R2, Blizzak or X-Ice.

Dunlop winter maxx was a good winter tire I would run.. except its priced the same as the class leaders and doesnt quite reach their performance.

Now if I had a crazy buy on some I would use with confidence.

These should be a nice leap forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back