Dunlop Sport Signature vs. Yoko V4S vs. Yoko YK520

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into replacing tires on our '04 Infiniti G35 RWD Sedan. The tire size is 215/55-17.

I've narrowed it down to three tires I am interested in due to price, tread life (all have 60k mile warranty) and reviews off of Tirerack. All of these tires would probably be bought from Discounttiredirect.com due to the lowest price I have found. All three are V rated tires, the recommended factory speed rating for a G35.

Yokohama V4S 215/55-17V $135
Yokohama YK520 (Discount Tire exclusive) 215/55-17V $134.90
Dunlop Sport Signature 215/55-17V $117

I am running a dedicated winter set up for this vehicle during the snowy months- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 mounted on 16" Nissan steel wheels.

I am essentially looking for a quite tire that performs fairly well in the dry and rain but has a relatively long tread life. This is the main reason I'm staying away from summer performance tires due to a low tread life.

Out of the 3 tires above, which is the best, which have you had experience with?

If you can recommend another site where prices are better than discounttiredirect.com, I'd also appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
out of curiosity, why did you rule out the bridgestone potenza 960AS pole position?

For my size, it is not made in USA, so it is on the bottom of my list, but it has gotten lots of great reviews...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
out of curiosity, why did you rule out the bridgestone potenza 960AS pole position?

For my size, it is not made in USA, so it is on the bottom of my list, but it has gotten lots of great reviews...

I didn't see those on Tireack or Discounttiredirect website in my size.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence on this, but my dad replaced the Goodyears on his Civic with the Dunlops and said they were a lot noisier. I think the Goodyears were Eagle RS (they were OEM).

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My cuz had DSS and they sucked.

Interesting to know. He had the SP Sport Signature, correct? The reviews on Tirerack are favorable.

Also, I'm able to get the V4S mounted and installed for $614 including taxes through Mr. Tire. Merchant's Tire/NTB told me they are able to beat it and do it for around $590. The $590 price is pretty much what I would be paying if I bought the tires at Discounttitredirect, had them shipped to my door and paid a local mechanic to mount and balance them. I figured that for this price, locally is the best way to deal in case a warranty issue comes up. Plus, Merchant's Tire/NTB will do a lifetime balance with these tires as well.

Sorry. He had the "Signature", a different tire. Sport Sig might be good if it's based on the awesome SP5000, but don't expect great wear.

Ok guys, seems I'm settling on the Yokohama AVID V4S due to availability everywhere in the event I need to replace one tire.

Any negative/positive comments about these?

Snow traction is of no concern to me since the car has a dedicated set of winter wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires mounted on them

My main concern for the Yokohama's is long tread life, good wet/dry traction, smooth/quiet ride.

It's a good choice for that car since handling is a priority. It's heavy and needs a decent-wearing tire.

Good to know. There have been a few threads on here about Yokohama's cracking. Are Yokohama infamous for this?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Good to know. There have been a few threads on here about Yokohama's cracking. Are Yokohama infamous for this?

I have 4 Yoko TRZ and 4 Yoko YK520 on two of my cars. Run great, no cracking.

Cracking is due to the use of silicone "wet tire", sun burn & high ozone area. Clean tire regularly, apply 303 and it will be all good.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
My main concern for the Yokohama's is long tread life, good wet/dry traction, smooth/quiet ride.

I have a set of Yoko YK520's on my 03 Altima. They were purchased as OE replacements. They are rated at 60k, I am at 25k but I will be lucky to get 32k out of them. I bought them at Discount Tire and I've rotated and balanced them regularly, and there are no alignment issues. Just wearbars getting close.

I don't drive the car/tires hard, so I am very disappointed in the treadwear. The tires run fine otherwise. I wrote a review to this effect on the DT website.

That said, the last time I had them rotated the fronts were closer to the wear bars and they were willing to pro-rate for two new tires. I told them I don't like replacing just two tires.

The guy at DT said he understood, and said they would work with me when I decide to get the next set of tires. I like the folks at DT and have bought several sets of tires from them.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
J

Thanks,

I've read many reviews on DT about the same exact problem you're having with the tires; not being able to come close to the 60k mile tread wear warranty.

Because of this and the reason that YK520 is only available at DT, I'm going with the V4S instead.

Even though, the YK520 utilizes newer technology versus the V4S older engineering, they are suffering from pre-mature wear on many vehicles.

Yeah, the reason I felt good about the 520's when I bought them is because I had purchased a set of Avid Touring from DT for my daughters 01 Civic. They were a great wearing tire (70K) and good overall tire.

The 520's looked to be an even better (H rated) on paper, so I thought they would be a lower cost alternative to a Michelin. But, live and learn.

I may look into the V4S for my next tire, though I'm somewhat wary of Yoko right now. Treadwear, ride and hyroplaning are the only things I need to consider, snow no real issue.

Sounds like you did your homework though on the V4S. Like the Avid Touring, seems like the older engineering may be working better.

I went ahead and bought the Yokohama V4S. Mr. Tire price matched an online retailer so I ended up paying $594 for 4 tires, mounted and balanced.

Hopefully they will serve this vehicle well.

Sounds good. DT matched an on online price with a WM install, when I replaced the Avid Touring this summer with General Altimax RT's on the Civic.

Happy motoring on your new sneakers.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back