Dumping Used Oil Question......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dread returning my used oil. It seems Pep Boys and my local Autozone give me the "third degree" when bringing it to them. They make me show ID and sign a form which I find silly and time consuming. I'm tempted just to dump it into my local filthy river or neighbors sewer but I've heard you can get fined. Any suggestions where I can take it?

whats the big deal man ? i take 8-10 4-5 qrt jugs at a time to walmart and drop it off. They have never Id'd me however i do have to fill out the logg showing i made a deposit.. no big deal, takes just a few seconds..

To the second half of your statement, just dumping oil in the river ? in neighbors sewer ? Are you serious or just trolling ?

Wow.

My local AAP, you walk in with the jugs, they ask "oil". When you say "yup", they ask if you know where the tank is and tell you to have at it and "Don't forget to sign the paper". 1/2 the time I do and the other 1/2 I forget.

The local landscaping supply place also takes "clean" used oil. My guess is they use it in an oil burner. But they are not open past noon Sat or at all Sun.

I think WalMart's with Tire/Lube places take oil ad Filters.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
whats the big deal man ? i take 8-10 4-5 qrt jugs at a time to walmart and drop it off. They have never Id'd me however i do have to fill out the logg showing i made a deposit.. no big deal, takes just a few seconds..

At Walmart, do you leave it, jugs and all? I like to re-use the 5QT jugs for oil changes and with 3 vehicles with 6QT sumps, I need 4 or so.

Thanks maybe I will try Walmart Auto Service area. I put the used oil in empty milk gallons so maybe that is why they dislike seeing me hauling in the oil.

Our local waste collection center, (aka "dump") has a huge tank with a metal rack for filters. You can carry five gallons per month and they've never asked me to sign anything. Maybe you have the same thing in your neck of the woods.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

At Walmart, do you leave it, jugs and all? I like to re-use the 5QT jugs for oil changes and with 3 vehicles with 6QT sumps, I need 4 or so.

Yes, i just drop the jugs off, however they ask me if i want the jugs back. I never take them.. ive got plenty of jugs.

Last edited:
I have mine in a 5 gallon bucket (nearly full) and was planning just to take it in like that thinking that they had a big tank I could pour it in and take my bucket home. Does it not work like this?

I guess I'm lucky that I work somewhere with a large fleet of vehicles. We have a 200 gallon tank for used oil and a couple 55 gallon drums for filters. So, all my used oil and filters just go to work with me.
smile.gif

I take my oil to the transfer station in my town. There's a tank there that you just walk up to and dump the oil in yourself. Nobody hassles you, makes you sign your name on anything, or even looks at you when you do it.

Whatever you do, don't dump it in the storm drain or sewer. Or on the ground, or anywhere else other than somewhere where it will be recycled.

At my local O'Reilly, they want you to sign a paper, I usually just write "Herman Munster" or something like that. They've never looked. Autozone just dumps it in the tank. Recently when everybody's tank was full, someone told me about a local refuse processor that accepts oil. The tank wasn't even attended. I just drove up and dumped my oil. I think that's where I'm going next time.

when they start the id thing here in nj just leave them on their doorstep after hours. Dont dump them into the waterways they pollute and eventually get into the drinking water and they will investigate and arrest you when you are caught they take that personally and the jail time and fines are staggering plus you will have to pay restitution i read about someone who poured it down the drain and was busted by a sewer line camera they checked with he lost his house.
they ask you to sign something because they want to make sure its only oil

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Autozone just dumps it in the tank.

Walmart lets you dump the oil in the tank yourself and no special container required.

My local O'reilly recently began the log sheet. The guy behind the counter told me that the oil gets repurposed by the fire department, but he didn't know why. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the log books, but they never check ID anyway.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I'm tempted just to dump it into my local filthy river or neighbors sewer but I've heard you can get fined.

Thats a retarded comment to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back