Dump Truck Build: 2000 Mack DM690S

Thought you guys might like to see this. I purchased this truck Tuesday and drove it home about 250 miles. It has an EM-7 Maxidyne engine, T2070 Maxitorque transmission, 44,000lb Mack Camelback suspension and Mack axles. The steer axle is a 20,000lb axle and the pusher axle is the same. The last 2 photos show the progress of removing the front mount hydraulic pump and fenders in preparation for the mixer body to come off. This truck is getting a 16-18' dump bed installed. I am tired of running the wheels off my single axle and decided to build a dump. Was able to buy this for 1/3 of the same truck with a dump bed, sold the mixer after owning the truck less than 18hrs. The sale of the mixer will buy a good used dump bed. I'll have less than half of what the comparable dump truck is worth. It is a little gear bound on the interstate but runs 55-60 just fine. There's not an interstate within 40 miles of me so the gearing will not be a concern. I am doing all the work myself so far except for needing my dad to pitch in and run the skidsteer when I couldn't be in both places at once.

IMG_3641[1].JPG

IMG_3657[1].JPG

IMG_3660[1].JPG

I've driven a 10 speed enough that I can guarantee I'd be hitting the range selector in 5th and trying for a non-existent 6th gear more than once.

Really cool build. How on earth did you get the mixer off?

Excellent.

I have owned 2 690s and 8 RD688 dumps.

If i may add some advice if you plan on using it daily or fairly often. Replace the trans with an 8LL and change the front hubs to hub pilot. Also change the tag axle to hub pilot and replace that tag with a 11R22.5. The cost will pay for itself in less wear on those tires.

If you are only seldom working it then carry on. Pull the inspection plate on your rear trunions and check for slop.. you may just need a tighten or so. Also inspect the trunion grease.

Oh man I drove a 1998 a RD690S with a T2070 trans. That thing was a real pain to shift if you weren’t used to it. I used to laugh when people were used to driving 8LL’s and they would hop in one of these......

does yours have the low/ high range in reverse, first and second only? I always drove mine like a normal 5 speed. Hardly ever used the low range, except when backing up. Always backed up in low range

I've driven a 10 speed enough that I can guarantee I'd be hitting the range selector in 5th and trying for a non-existent 6th gear more than once.

Really cool build. How on earth did you get the mixer off?
It is a bizarre transmission for sure. I am used to 9, 10 and 15 speeds so it had a learning curve for sure. Bed is still on for the moment, still have a few hydraulics to sort through. All wiring was separated from the truck harness and removed along with the control console in the cab today. I have 4 or so hours of work before it comes off. My existing plan is to remove it with a crane on the back and a heavy wrecker on the front with a nylon sling around the gearbox flange where it’s attached to the drum.

Oh man I drove a 1998 a RD690S with a T2070 trans. That thing was a real pain to shift if you weren’t used to it. I used to laugh when people were used to driving 8LL’s and they would hop in one of these......

does yours have the low/ high range in reverse, first and second only? I always drove mine like a normal 5 speed. Hardly ever used the low range, except when backing up. Always backed up in low range
Mine has Direct, Low, Neutral and Reverse on the range selector. 1 and 2 can be split between low and direct and 3,4,5 are all direct. You have 5 gear options in reverse. There is no reverse hole in the pattern, it is in the compound box and is shifted via air.

Excellent.

I have owned 2 690s and 8 RD688 dumps.

If i may add some advice if you plan on using it daily or fairly often. Replace the trans with an 8LL and change the front hubs to hub pilot. Also change the tag axle to hub pilot and replace that tag with a 11R22.5. The cost will pay for itself in less wear on those tires.

If you are only seldom working it then carry on. Pull the inspection plate on your rear trunions and check for slop.. you may just need a tighten or so. Also inspect the trunion grease.
It will see a few loads a week hopefully. I work second shift 4pm to 12:30am but hope to find work during the day. I found a crack in the trunnion bracket that I missed when I inspected it prior to purchase. I will be replacing the bracket and all the wear items. It is an unexpected cost but will be much easier as a cab and chassis than after a bed is installed.

They'll have to take me to jail to get me to stop with the old stuff here. All mine is maintained well and I try to run as efficiently as possible. No rolling coal or any of that garbage here. Just good old reliable trucks.

it certainly is nice to be able to run well maintained older non emission trucks! I remember probably 10 years ago there were several companies that bought glider kits for their dump truck fleets. KW T800 chassis I believe. Those may be outlawed now though.

Here you guys go! Mixer body came off yesterday. That's me at the controls of my wrecker and hired a good friend and his crane to assist. It went flawlessly. This week will consist of a rear trunnion stand replacement which I will document here, a clutch adjustment, and removing some caked on concrete on the rear differential. I am still shopping for a used dump bed to install on it and if I don't find one in the next couple weeks I will likely order a brand new one. A new dump bed is roughly $1,000/per foot of length. That estimation gets you in the ball park on price. Then add $1,500-$2,000 for a PTO and hydraulic pump, hundreds of dollars in hoses, couple hundred for pump controls, and a 55 gallon drum of hydraulic fluid. This stuff is why truck upfitters charge so much.

Here you guys go! Mixer body came off yesterday. That's me at the controls of my wrecker and hired a good friend and his crane to assist. It went flawlessly. This week will consist of a rear trunnion stand replacement which I will document here, a clutch adjustment, and removing some caked on concrete on the rear differential. I am still shopping for a used dump bed to install on it and if I don't find one in the next couple weeks I will likely order a brand new one. A new dump bed is roughly $1,000/per foot of length. That estimation gets you in the ball park on price. Then add $1,500-$2,000 for a PTO and hydraulic pump, hundreds of dollars in hoses, couple hundred for pump controls, and a 55 gallon drum of hydraulic fluid. This stuff is why truck upfitters charge so much.
Love that old Ford wrecker 👍👍🇺🇸🍺

Back