Dump or Keep???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question as to how long oil can keep inside a motor that is not driven for an extended period of time.

Before finding this site I was a stout 3/3 guy for all my vehicles. Recently I have decided to start using the OLM's equiped in my truck and my wife's GP which tend to go at least 4-6k miles before recomending a change.

However, for my GTO I do not drive it in the winter so it only sees the road 6 months out of the year. In the past I have always just gone by mileage (3k intervals) regardless but have always wondered if I should dump the oil that sits in the motor over the winter months even if it only has 1 to 2 thousand miles on the oil. I was thinking of bumping my OCI up to 5K miles but worry about the condition of the oil after the winter from not driving it. The oil is synthetic so I don't know if that alows it to keep better than a dino would or not. Also, right now I put about 6k miles a year on it but expect that to increase next year to about 8-10k as my work office is moving and will be a farther commute and at this time I am not confortable running the same oil for that long of a span to just dump it once a year at the begining of spring.

If you are going to change the oil only once per year, better to do it just before storing the car for the winter. Then, just run that oil for the next driving season.

Last edited:
Actually I wasn't planning on running it for the whole year but wanted to know if the oil that sits in it over the winter is still ok to use. But from what you are saying it should still be good even though the oil sits for 6 months in the winter.

Originally Posted By: paul246
If you are going to change the oil only once per year, better to do it just before storing the car for the winter. Then, just run that oil for the next driving season.

Paul is correct. BMW recommends at least one oil change per year even if you don't use the vehicle. Change if just before you put it into storage

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
Actually I wasn't planning on running it for the whole year but wanted to know if the oil that sits in it over the winter is still ok to use. But from what you are saying it should still be good even though the oil sits for 6 months in the winter.

Yes. I am doing this very thing. I have had a truck in storage for 18 months. After EXTENSIVE on line research, and hearing from respected opinions, I am totally confident that oil is just fine, especially for just 6 months. Any oil can sit for up to a year, a high quality Synthetic for up to two. It was correct to change it just before storage, so its clean while it sits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back