Dumb question about Russian aircraft carrier

So, Russia’s lone aircraft carrier uses mazut or heavy fuel oil for propulsion. Anyone have any idea why as I sure don’t?

I would think it would use nuclear for propulsion🤔🤔

Take out the fuel supply ship in combat and it becomes worthless, just a floating small island. Remember, the planes need fuel too.

The Soviet Union really didn't have the best track record with nukes in the Navy. It's one thing to kill a sub full of 70-120 guys but another thing entirely to kill 1,700.

The reason they haven't built a new AC is due to money/budget. If they did, it would most likely be a nuke.

I think I read the Russians have commissioned Nork Shipbuilding Ltd. to construct one. The keel will be laid as soon as sanctions permit.

It's one thing to kill a sub full of 70-120 guys but another thing entirely to kill 1,700.
well...;)

Probably easy because they have the infrastructure for the oil burner, the ability to support underway replenishment, easy to maintain and operate.

Nuclear is not the be all end all fuel. It sure is mighty but it is not cheap or easy to maintain. It is expensive, it is hard to build in short order, and it is a BIG TARGET. Just destroy one and your moral tank instantly. You still need petroleum ships around the nuclear carrier anyways, so the supply chain is still limited to some extend.

In the future we would likely see more and more decentralized fleet that carry out unmanned operation. You do not need them all to be billion dollar carrier or fighter. You can swarm your enemy with low flying drone bomb that they cannot take down. As soon as the supply chain is disrupted it is game over.

well...;)

Probably easy because they have the infrastructure for the oil burner, the ability to support underway replenishment, easy to maintain and operate.
Even by Russian standards, in today's world, 1,700 sailors is nothing to sneeze at.

So, Russia’s lone aircraft carrier uses mazut or heavy fuel oil for propulsion. Anyone have any idea why as I sure don’t?

I would think it would use nuclear for propulsion🤔🤔
Before Covid, I traveled to France often. I know many people who have large space heaters that heat the whole house. They use what they call MAZUT. It is a heavy oil similar to what we would call Heating Oil. Very slightly more viscous than heating oil here in the USA.

Don’t know if Russian Mazut and French Mazut is the same.

Back