Dumb parking question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Lower Michigan, that photo would typically show 3-4 large cement cracks on that subdivision street. All our roads are terrible.

If you plan on parking there daily, get the right tires a little closer to the sidewalk and stone that easement, to avoid mud developing. As the dirt sinks and it will, just add more stone to level it out again. Then once a month, spend two minutes sweeping the stones that got away, back to the easement.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Hey, nice car MAN! Same color as mine. Looks good!
Being in Florida, they have some weird rules which likely vary by city. Where I live, it's illegal to park on grass! And this is the case, even though there is no mud or anything! I'm even talking about your OWN yard, even beside your OWN driveway!
People drive all over the grass and yards here, pull small utility trailers, park boats, everything imaginable, but don't park on the grass. If you park a car here, there has to be a prepared surface, even if it's just gravel!

[censored], people make driveways out of MULCH or PINE NEEDLES here, but don't park on the grass!
Only in Florida? They don't call it the punchline state for nothing!
lol.gif

The one thing I really noticed about Florida when I first started traveling there regularly, is just how many cars ARE parked on the grass.

The one thing I really noticed about Florida when I first started traveling there regularly, is just how many cars ARE parked on the grass.

Yeah, prob why they made it a violation here. Like I said, no mud. Sandy soil will support a car or tractor trailer easily, even when wet.
I think that actually may be one of the top things I like about this area. After 28 years in the oil industry, a LOT of it working in mud, I like this CLEAN DIRT much better!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Here in Lower Michigan, that photo would typically show 3-4 large cement cracks on that subdivision street. All our roads are terrible.

If you plan on parking there daily, get the right tires a little closer to the sidewalk and stone that easement, to avoid mud developing. As the dirt sinks and it will, just add more stone to level it out again. Then once a month, spend two minutes sweeping the stones that got away, back to the easement.

Not surprised considering your state is essentially located within a flood plain and the roadbed routinely freezes.

I don't think it will harm the suspension on your Benz.

I can't see what kind of tires and rims you have from the rear. Is this a low profile tire where you might scratch the sides of the rims when driving up the curb? Just don't approach that curb at an almost parallel angle, I guess, to avoid that. I'm sure those rims are pricey.

Just google your municipal code wherever you are. Where I live, I see two laws that could apply in this situation.

You would need to get off the curb, and just keep your wheels within 12 inches of the face of the curb.
Sec. 70-196. - General parking on public streets.
No person shall park or stand a vehicle in a public roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the wheels of the vehicle within 12 inches of the face of the curb or edge of the roadway, displaying a valid license plate, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

You need there to be at least 16 feet of roadway between your car and the opposite curb so traffic can move through.
Sec. 70-197. - Parking prohibited in specific places.
(a)No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle:
(12)On any public street in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available less than 16 feet of the width of the roadway for the free movement of vehicular traffic and emergency vehicle response; or

Municipal Code

People don't normally park like that on my street. But it happens when someone is throwing a party, or maybe some lawn mowing crew stops to work on somebody's yard. I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for that in my neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I doubt if the real estate attorney would know and as a Realtor this isn't really covered. I only know that it's illegal around here due to city ordinance. They don't really issue tickets for it normally but they do in some circumstances. Usually just in winter where if you park like that it's hard to shovel the snow or for pedestrians to walk by.

I cant wait to hear this

Why would you doubt a real estate attorney wouldn't know specific information about real estate? What attorney specialty do you think would?

Also, why wouldn't a realtor, given the fact this is a common thing (HOA's and restrictions, codes etc.) have a working familiarity.

I know the ones in my area do- I get information from them on our office all the time.

Won't hurt your car. I appreciate people who park so I can get by, and have better lines of sight. I'd mix up where you park, though, so the grass doesn't get wrecked and turn into a mud pit.

Around here it's custom (law?) to park "in the ditch", eg the sandy shoulder of a 2-lane highway. The town/city/road authority owns at least 10 feet from the fog line, and having a registered car entitles people to park there unless otherwise prohibited.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

I doubt if the real estate attorney would know and as a Realtor this isn't really covered. I only know that it's illegal around here due to city ordinance. They don't really issue tickets for it normally but they do in some circumstances. Usually just in winter where if you park like that it's hard to shovel the snow or for pedestrians to walk by.

I cant wait to hear this

Why would you doubt a real estate attorney wouldn't know specific information about real estate? What attorney specialty do you think would?

Also, why wouldn't a realtor, given the fact this is a common thing (HOA's and restrictions, codes etc.) have a working familiarity.

I know the ones in my area do- I get information from them on our office all the time.

Because real estate attorneys mostly deal with buy and selling real estate and the contracts and title and lien searches associated with them. Not with the various town by town parking statutes. The attorney would have to look up the parking statutes for the town and you can do that yourself.

Unless you want to pay, the attorneys I know would just tell you not to do it if there is question as to its legality.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Because real estate attorneys mostly deal with buy and selling real estate and the contracts and title and lien searches associated with them. Not with the various town by town parking statutes. The attorney would have to look up the parking statutes for the town and you can do that yourself.

Unless you want to pay, the attorneys I know would just tell you not to do it if there is question as to its legality.

First, I never said pro bono- the word I used was 'get" and that implies fee based.( but could have stated better to avoid confusion)

Maybe you have not dealt with enough of them but they also do zoning, easements, rights of way, ingress/egress, restrictions- the "research attorneys' or paras do the actual deed warranties and searches.

Also, having a statute doesn't mean as much because "parking" is generally defined in public terms and public areas, not private property usage.

Then theres also case law that further defines or qualifies a given ordinance or statute.

I take it you have never had to find stuff like this out before?

Last edited:
If you really wanted to know how the local parking on residential streets statutes are applied, maybe the best option would be to just ask one of the cops. Cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

You would definitely want to move it every day or two. I can pretty much guarantee there is a local statute in your town preventing parking cars that don't run out on the street. At least by driving it every day you would avoid trouble over that.

Originally Posted by FADEC
Originally Posted by PhuongFU
Sorry for the dumb question. But would parking like this every night on the curb be bad for suspension? It's like 5 inches tall and it's a gradual curb. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Sure wish I had a Mercedes like that!

Make mine an E500.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

I cant wait to hear this

For one thing, this has never come up in the 15 years I've been in real estate and I deal with a real estate all the time on a regular basis. But next time I speak with a real estate attorney, I'll just throw it out and there and let you know. There's a lot of things they don't just throw their name on without research.

Being a Realtor just means you've paid your fee to the National Association of Realtors and to be a Realtor, all you have to do is take the ethics course every 2 years which is a 4 hour course. And be licensed by the state. State makes no mention of parking on the street. That's really more of a driving question and state/local laws issue. I've been a licensed real estate broker for years and it's never come up in any training material. Any working familiarity would just be from experience.

It's interesting to see this is possibly illegal. I've parked like this myself when the street is narrow. It's being considerate to other cars by making more room as well as decreasing the chance of getting hit.

Heck, in town, they have parking areas like this with gravel that go from the street to the sidewalk.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
No. Can't say the same for the grass though.

Can't be good to repeatedly do that for the wheel bearing going over that curb or your neighbor if that is not in front of your yard. It is illegal in my area to park in the street between 2-6 AM.If someone did that every night in front of my house at night, the police will be called. I believe in supporting the Police Department's coffee fund.....with someone else's money.

Last edited:
For one thing, this has never come up in the 15 years I've been in real estate and I deal with a real estate all the time on a regular basis. But next time I speak with a real estate attorney, I'll just throw it out and there and let you know. There's a lot of things they don't just throw their name on without research.

Being a Realtor just means you've paid your fee to the National Association of Realtors and to be a Realtor, all you have to do is take the ethics course every 2 years which is a 4 hour course. And be licensed by the state. State makes no mention of parking on the street. That's really more of a driving question and state/local laws issue. I've been a licensed real estate broker for years and it's never come up in any training material. Any working familiarity would just be from experience.

I understand and buy the highlighted posts completely but that's not the underlying basis for comment.

I too am a realtor ( my father was the BIC for almost 40 years and I worked with him off and on since the late 70's and still keep my license current although I do virtually nothing except it may be a retirement fallback if I decide to) so I'm as familiar as you are with the overall process but that not the underlying basis either.

To your point about experience, back in the 80's we did several estate farms and converted them to communities- both in city and county and these were issues ( even including mineral and water rights on a few as well as cable and even were the streets private property or county maintained) and I fully agree that depending on the experience, locale and sect the individual realtor ( and RE attorney) will determine whether they personally have knowledge but that too was not the underlying basis of comment.

But you knew all of that.

The underlying basis was (in context to the OP and my response) that with all things equal on a question that has potential for a lot of vague ambiguity and confusion ( as evidenced by some comments even in this thread) that going to those fields would be MOST LIKELY to either HAVE the knowledge ( from experience) or know how to GET the knowledge ( asking the right questions in order to get the right answers) more than John Q. at large.

LE can tell you an ordinance but not all the nuances and are frequently less than accurate- their job is to enforce law, not interpret or administrate it

City planners will just quote what's on the website

Asking a politician is an exercise in futility

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You live in one, you gave up your rights.

You obey by the rules.

After all, the HOA are just Nazi commies, right?

I hate the idea, And yes I think they are.

Its Anti- U.S.A. Anti-Constitution, Anti-Bill of Rights

And I ain't no Gadsen Flag flyer.

I appears your HOA has no teeth if they let this situation persist.
Bring your argument to them.

I am no fan of HOA's and a hard core individual rights supporter ( and the Constitution) and don't like restrictions in general but in all honesty, you didn't "give up" your rights if you bought a house covered by one- you technically "sold" them for a price and as a result are bound by them as a legitimate agreement.

Assuming compliance with all laws such as discrimination, state laws etc...….

As the private entity owner- they have the "right" to impose and negotiate terms and conditions in a contract

As the free citizen- they have the "right" to accept, re-negotiate or walk away.

Once the agreement is signed, its binding

I cannot see that scenario as "anti" USA, Constitution or BOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back