Dumb parking question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I lived in the city, that was against code as was parking in front of your own driveway.

Here's one problem parking like that: Teenage boys. You are inviting teenage boys that are up to no good at 3 AM
to mess with your car. Your car is a magnet to be picked on and parking it like "it's special" eggs them on.

I'd be parking that beautiful car in the garage!

My aunt and uncle's neighborhood is like that,has those gradual curbs. I remember as kids we loved riding our bikes up and down them.

I would never buy or rent a home on a narrow street like that. Ample parking has to be on your mindset, when looking for your next residence.

I am assuming three vehicles occupy your residence. For I see that your neighbors have double-wide driveways. I'm guessing you do also.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
It's not your own street, sidewalk and lawn in between.

Wow!

Its a tertiary road thickly settled neighborhood. Cops likely only would drive in for domestics or loud party.

But then there is that lady in the HOA always calling the condo commission for "violations"

Reason I'll never live in one. Bunch of Commies.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
But then there is that lady in the HOA always calling the condo commission for "violations"

You are right. People should be able to park broken down junk cars, rusted parts, old tires, junk appliances, garbage bags, and discarded furniture all over their front yards, even if their well kept neighborhood is full of $500K homes and they willfully signed off on the deed restrictions when they moved in. The "commie neighbors" can just SHOVE IT, right?

Makes perfect sense.
crazy2.gif

Two years ago I had tenants who placed a trailer on a driveway while moving out. I got hit by the County with a zoning violation and was summoned to municipal court (charter county and that's what they called it even though it was in an unincorporated part of the county). They had moved but I found myself in this industrial building with dozens of defendants. We all moved in front of the judge twelve at a time and he'd read the charges, drop the fines by 90% and assess court costs. Interestingly, since my problem was corrected and the tenants had moved (I was holding their deposit) mine was the only case dismissed at the request of the zoning officer. High grass, parking like this, camper ahead of the building line... bip, bop, boom. "You should pay $400, but we're discounting the fine to almost nothing and pay $125 court fees, Next."

HBO was running that miniseries about the guy in North Carolina who may have killed his wife, served some time, then got out of prison after years after copping an Alford Plea (they have the goods on you but you still maintain innocence)-- one of the defendants claimed an Alford Plea on a high grass case. The judge swore at him and brought out a big plastic laminated card (two sides) that he had to read to the defendant. This took more time than spent on two dozen defendants that just stood up and shut up.

Had another tenant in the same house that parked a camper ahead of the building line for a couple of days and got another citation and was cited by the same officer even though there are numerous cases constantly in that subdivision. Suspect some overly anxious subdivision board member lives in the immediate area. I remember in my villa a new subdivision board member came to my front door at five in the morning when my dog dropped a deuce in the front yard at three am. IMO any subdivision board member who actually WANTS the job shouldn't be in the job.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

You are right. People should be able to park broken down junk cars, rusted parts, old tires, junk appliances, garbage bags, and discarded furniture all over their front yards, even if their well kept neighborhood is full of $500K homes and they willfully signed off on the deed restrictions when they moved in. The "commie neighbors" can just SHOVE IT, right?

Makes perfect sense.
crazy2.gif

You live in one, you gave up your rights.

You obey by the rules.

You choice for achieving a phony Shangri-La

I dont like houses that look like a town dump in the front yard, either.
There are town ordinances against such a thing. Just takes a few phone calls.

Now, some guy down the main road from me put a big 36" in tube TV out near the curb on this retaining wall.
It's been there two Winters now. Guess no one called. and the Dump doesn't take TV's for free. 50 bucks.

When I was a kid if that persisted, we would bring a bottle with some kerosene in it and light that sucker up.

Killed two birds with one stone. Got to be "delinquent" and . the TV was toast.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PhuongFU
Sorry for the dumb question. But would parking like this every night on the curb be bad for suspension? It's like 5 inches tall and it's a gradual curb. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Sure wish I had a Mercedes like that!

Technically, such a static position with the car will not be a problem. People in San Francisco and other parts of the country park that way (and even worse) on a daily basis.

Legally, that strip of land is yours but the city has right of way. They can plant trees, telephone poles, fire hydrants, and shoo cars from it, as needed for the public good. You have to maintain it because you get 'enjoyment' out of it. At least that's how a lawyer explained it to me.

I will add that when I vacationed in Europe, I saw people.parking in all.sorts if ways due to old places in Europe built before the Advent of cars.

You live in one, you gave up your rights.

You obey by the rules.

But they don't. They trash their yards, park abandoned RV's and junk cars, and create a haven for rats and other vermin, THEN they go to the HOA meeting and scream and cuss at the board members for finally fining them after 3 warnings. No amount of reasoning helps them realize THEY WILLINGLY SIGNED OFF ON THE RULES BEFORE MOVING IN.

After all, the HOA are just Nazi commies, right?

Simple solution. Park the Benz in front of your house on the curb strip(illegal and unsightly) for a week and then park it across the street on your neighbors curb strip for a week. When he complains just tell him you're balancing the suspension.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Makes perfect sense.
crazy2.gif

Both of these is why I live on the end of a dead end road in the middle of the boonies...no neighbors, and I can park what I want where I want.

A neighbor who lives about 3 homes down from me, parks his truck just like that on his own lawn.He has done so for several years now. He says its cheaper to plant grass than to absorb the cost of replacing broken driver side mirrors. It's a old 2002 F150 so the suspension can take it. Not going to harm the suspension at all.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
My recommendation is to get a real estate attorney or possibly a realtor to answer you specifically where you live or contact the local zoning/planning commission

I doubt if the real estate attorney would know and as a Realtor this isn't really covered. I only know that it's illegal around here due to city ordinance. They don't really issue tickets for it normally but they do in some circumstances. Usually just in winter where if you park like that it's hard to shovel the snow or for pedestrians to walk by.

Hey, nice car MAN! Same color as mine. Looks good!
Being in Florida, they have some weird rules which likely vary by city. Where I live, it's illegal to park on grass! And this is the case, even though there is no mud or anything! I'm even talking about your OWN yard, even beside your OWN driveway!
People drive all over the grass and yards here, pull small utility trailers, park boats, everything imaginable, but don't park on the grass. If you park a car here, there has to be a prepared surface, even if it's just gravel!

[censored], people make driveways out of MULCH or PINE NEEDLES here, but don't park on the grass!
Only in Florida? They don't call it the punchline state for nothing!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back