Dumb idea: 50/50 blend of QSGB & QSUD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was just at Walmart yesterday, hoping to find the MC 5w20 blend 5qt jug for a good price. It was $17 something, a bit more than I was hoping for. Quaker State 5qt GB is $12.xx and the UD is $20.xx. They have the GB in 5w20, but only 5w30 in the UD. Would it be dumb to do a 50/50 mix of the two for my wife's Prius? That would end up being about $3.20 a quart for a syn blend that is probably higher than most. I assume everything would be fully compatible/complimentary within the same brand?

Thanks, Doug

Sure: why not? Unless there are negative warranty considerations (i.e. any 5W-30 prohibited in a Prius, etc.) it seems to be a great blend for your AZ climate (cold starts? not a problem) and a reasonable price, as well.

OCI by time or mileage?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Let's see. That gives you 10 quarts for $32-33. Or $16.50 per 5 qts. Why not just get the MC 5W20 and be done with it?

Or spend another $3.50 and get the full synthetic QSUD?

Hmmm, are you saying the MC is better or just wondering why I would want to mess around with the mixing to not save much moolah? I guess my thought was that 50% full syn is probably higher than any blend, but I see your point...

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Let's see. That gives you 10 quarts for $32-33. Or $16.50 per 5 qts. Why not just get the MC 5W20 and be done with it?

I'm running the same QSUD / QSGB blend in one of my vehicles . Why ? Because I got a stash of the QSGB for cheap and I already had the QSUD so I went 50 - 50 . * When all my conventional oil is used up I will switch over to synthetic - I don't believe we will see sale prices again on conventional oils like we did in the last couple of years .

I think it is a nice blend. QSUD is about the best buy out there now. I'm switching from PP. The last time at WalMart the QSUD 5qt. bottles are now SN and have all the ratings like GM4718 and HTO6 (the Honda turbo spec?). I couldn't find any reason to pay a little more for PP.

I definitely thought about that, but I wasn't sure about drain intervals. I am planning on 7500 mile OCIs since I am now out of powertrain warranty. I will be using Bosch Distance Plus oil filters. Would your run QSGB 5w20 in a Prius for 7500 miles? I have been running the MC blend 5w20 and am pretty confident that it would be fine, based on UOA and comments here. Would the 5w30 QSGB be a better choice in this scenario? Thanks, Doug

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Or just use the QS GB 5W-20 straight up; a 20wt is all you need for a Prius.

The recommended OCI on the Toyota 0W-20 is 10,000 miles so I don't think 7,500 miles on QSGB is too much of a stretch.
The 5W-30 GB offers no advantage over the 5W-20 in terms of OCI.

BTW the QSGB 5W-20 is a heavier oil to the Toyota Brand 0W-20 at all oil temp's you're going to see in a Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back