dumb blonde oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 91 Pontiac Trasnport running on 10W 30 synthetic oil. It is the Mobil that doesn't need changing untill 13,000 miles? I do it sooner.

Experiencing a 'lifter' pinging noise, so mechanic says to try 5W 30. I did, and noise stopped.

Now, need to change oil as it is 'time', and am in a quandry. Ex says to put in 10W 30 because of:
amt of miles (220,000)
weather in da UP of michigan is COLD
and 'it needs heavier oil in winter.'

I have no idea, and am trying to learn about all this oil stuff so I can 'hold my own'...as they say....

Manual says 5w 30, but doesn't take in consideration of high mileage, and weather conditions.

Maybe I should just keep praying it dies, but for 250.00 it just keeps runnning, and running..........for the past three years! hmpf.
thanks

Your ex is either dumber than dirt or playing head games with you about needing "heavier oil in winter" in northern Michigan winters. You need the lighter low-temp viscosity in winter for quick flow to the upper end. During the summer months, 10W-30 might well be preferable in a motor with that many miles.

Perhaps the Ex is saying that the engine is warn, and has large clearances that may get larger with extreme cold, so a thicker oil is needed? Could have merit. Wouldn't try it personally, but I have heard of stranger things.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
I wonder if GM had intake gasket problems back then...
wink.gif

Nope. The 3.1 Liter TBI V6 that's in that vehicle is excellent. It's a wierd engine in that it's kind of a hybrid between the RWD 2.8L S-10 engine as far as its upper intake and fuel injection system goes, but uses a FWD 3.1L block, and it has a distributor instead of coil packs. The only other engine that will (easily) interchange with it is a carbureted FWD 2.8L V6 out of a mid '80s GM A-body like a Celebrity, 6000, etc.

DISTRESSEDMOM,
Keep using the 5w-30 that you are currently using. There is not much difference between it and the 10w-30 that your ex recommends, but if it stopped the noise for you, keep using it. But I vote that he is wrong in saying that your engine needs to be thicker in the winter. Just the opposite I think. But again, not much difference here with 10w-30 and 5w-30 to warrant a major worry.

You ex doesnt appear to be that stupid, and is not steering you wrong as some on this thread appear to want to think. And disregard all the "hits" and "comeons" and sexist comments you will get on this forum. There are some nice people on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back