dumb blonde oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with the 5w-30 synthetic year round, unless it starts using more oil than you're comfortable keeping up with.

If it's been running synthetic its entire life, the engine is probably still in good shape, even at that mileage.

If your running the 5w30 right now and theirs no Oil consumption then I dont see were it would be a problem to keep using this grade of oil especially if the manufacturer recommendes it. Btw Oil thickens when its cold and thins when it comes up to operating temperature.

The 5W-30 is superior in the winter and no worse in the summer for all practical purposes. Engine age or mileage doesn't factor in at all for differences in the "W" number between oils. Since the 5W-30 stopped the noise and is manufacturer recommended, stick with it.

Probably more confirmation of why the ex is an ex. Listen to your mechanic, not your ex.

Got pictures?

Ok, just kidding. But I had to keep up the internet leg-humper tradition, LOL.

Best wishes.

PS, one of my best/worst vacations was on Mackinac Island up your way. Beautiful scenery and a peaceful place. Lousy time with my ex-wife. Hardly a word said.

So much for my idea of a romantic getaway from the kids.

It's beautiful country up there.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:

PS, one of my best/worst vacations was on Mackinac Island up your way. Beautiful scenery and a peaceful place. Lousy time with my ex-wife. Hardly a word said.

So much for my idea of a romantic getaway from the kids.

It's beautiful country up there.

Now *that* is funny. I had a similar experience with an ex at the same place. Maybe it's the weather?

lol.gif

I think it was our differences regarding what was a good time. To her, it was running up the credit cards to the limit.

To me, well, I can't go into detail here, it's a family board
wink.gif

But let's just say it was encourage by scripture, one of the very first commandments to Adam and Eve.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
I think it was our differences regarding what was a good time. To her, it was running up the credit cards to the limit.

To me, well, I can't go into detail here, it's a family board
wink.gif

But let's just say it was encourage by scripture, one of the very first commandments to Adam and Eve.

With mine it was a problem with definitions and reality. She just didn't know that being high maintenance and a B most of the time were actually Bad things...

lol.gif

Strange, we are both in IL, we have similar experiences.

Anywhere near Scott AFB? Maybe our ex's know each other, LOL

quote:

Originally posted by distressedmom:
Ex says to put in 10W 30 because of...:
'it needs heavier oil in winter.'

The ex has been to the automotive department at Target, eh?
lol.gif

Given the manual's recommendation and your personal experience, go with the same 5W-30 you're currently using.

There are some additives out there such as Auto-Rx that have been proven excellent cleaners, and could possibly eliminate that lifter noise you're hearing.

The rest of the crowd here nailed everything else dead on. Stick with a quality 5w30 oil year round just like the manufacturer recommends.

That engine will go a long way with decent maintenance.

If it's white, and you ever want to sell it, drop me a line. I have a home for white GM "plasti-vans" as I like to call 'em. One of my buddys uses them for service trucks for his cable TV company. They've been proven darn near indestructible.

welcome.gif

You are obviously an intelligent blond and ask good questions. I agree with Volvohead. It seems like it is your ex who is the dumb blond.

How much is he paying in child support? Maybe that's why he gave you bad info.

P.S. I'm a man and I got the house and kids.
wink.gif

"Maybe I should just keep praying it dies, but for 250.00 it just keeps runnning, and running..........for the past three years!"

Wait a minute. It's a GM product.

It's supposed to have self-destructed long ago.

You are not some GMC corporate BIG WIG spreading propaganda about GM quality, are you?

I agree with most above - use the 5w30 and monitor for oil use (low dipstick).

Or......stuff a pasty down the oil fill hole and the lard will melt out and lubricate the lifters. I prefer Dobbers out of Escanaba.

We're all like giddy teenagers whenever a female joins the forum. Welcome!

I wonder if GM had intake gasket problems back then...
wink.gif

But to answer the question, 5w30 is what you'd want. It will flow more rapidly under cold temperatures to minimize start-up wear in comparison to 10w30, though the differences may be minimal.

Shoot, go with 0w30 since you live up that high. I have friends who live in Pickford (1/2 hour south of Sault Ste. Marie) and it's COLD up there. Why not go thin at initial startup? It's going to get thick as it warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back