Dull car colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: 555
Glad the matte black trend is on a downward trend. Doesn't work on every car.

Too bad the black wheels trend isn't going away too...I hate black wheels!

Me too. Black wheels either look like they were homegrown with Krylon spray paint or are covered in a ton of brake dust.

I'm goin with the brake dust...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The flat colors to me look like primer, and they need to finish the paint job...

Haha that's exactly what I think too! It looks like they were too cheap to finish the paint job,so they just left with the primer on it.

Yeah, that's the standard color of mismatched body panels when cars are just repaired. Like they had time to give it a coat of primer but not enough time to give it a coat of paint afterwards. And black wheels remind me of those cheap crown vics which just had moon hubcaps or no hubcaps and just black steel stamped wheels. They were too cheap to afford aluminum to make it shiny.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah, that's the standard color of mismatched body panels when cars are just repaired. Like they had time to give it a coat of primer but not enough time to give it a coat of paint afterwards. And black wheels remind me of those cheap crown vics which just had moon hubcaps or no hubcaps and just black steel stamped wheels. They were too cheap to afford aluminum to make it shiny.

Haha I forgot about those hideous moon hubcaps. I haven't seen those things in a really long time,thank goodness!

On the other hand, as far as, form follows function, a dirty, matte black car runs, and drives exactly the same as a clean, shiny, pretty car. My car only seems to run better when it's clean in my head. Does anyone remember from 40 years ago, the sinister, big, bad, all black 1971 Lincoln Continental, in the movie "The Car"? Or how about the dirty, matte black 1955 Chevy 210 in the movie, "2 Lane Blacktop"? That's the look I'm starting with on my 55 210 2 door. I'll never get all the scratches out my rode hard, police Tahoe, that looks better dirty sometimes.

Last edited:
Same truck with shiny wheels, but the stock police pursuit Firestone Firewhawks are an amazing tire. Too bad they are over $400 each.

I think it was Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth that offered cars in Sub Lime, Lemon Twist and other wacky colors back in the day.

Early Model T Ford's weren't available in black until someone came up with a black paint that dried quickly, so it was used as it helped speed up production.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Dull...

Nothing is more striking than a proper gloss black finish.

With chrome wheels!

Dull...

With chrome wheels!

Annnnnd you lost me. lol

I think it would depend on the vehicle. Something like a luscious gloss black '67 Impala with chrome smoothies or Cragars though, mmm...

Dull...

With chrome wheels!

Annnnnd you lost me. lol

I think it would depend on the vehicle. Something like a luscious gloss black '67 Impala with chrome smoothies or Cragars though, mmm...

I can't think of one vehicle that doesn't look better with chrome wheels...

I can't think of one vehicle that doesn't look better with chrome wheels...

My Porsche or my Volvo would look a little goofy blinged out, I think.

If its not on the primary colors wheel, its dull and boring

Primary_Colors-lrg.jpg

Too bad the black wheels trend isn't going away too...I hate black wheels!

On some cars and on some colors, black wheels just look right! I almost ordered my red 2018 Corvette with the standard silver finish wheels but at the last minute, after looking over many pictures of cars equipped with different wheels, I decided to add black wheels and red calipers to my order. I just think that with all the black pieces on the outside of the new Corvette that black wheels fit the look better. My car will look like the one below (except my badges will be black, my interior will be gray and my roof will be solid red.

dsc_0064-version-21.jpg

Red is great on sports cars and small hatchbacks like the Golf I own. Not good on full-size sedans like an Impala or full-size pickups and SUVs.

Mitsubishi has a pale metallic blue that's quite attractive.

I can't think of any shade of brown that I like, and beige is just boring.

For an average daily driver, I like anything from white to black.

I will say I like the Toyota orange and peacock blue.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Ever since car paint went to water based instead of solvent based, the colors have not been the same...

Take a look at the black lacquer paint on the Cadillac, looks purple in the right light...

https://youtu.be/oVEBZLrjpw4

The manufacturers don't use it, but is it still possible to get a good lacquer repaint at a body shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back