Dueler Revos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I get my new set of shoes, 285/70r17 on my 02 f150 4x4. I have completely had it with the stock goodyear RT/S, the tread lasts a really long time but the traction is down right dangerous. It was a toss-up between the Revo AT and BF AT KO's, hope I made the better choice, any experience with the Revos out there in oil land?

Well since no one has said anything I'll offer my
twocents.gif

I haven't owned the REVO, but it is the tire I wanted when I bought my TA KO's. The REVO's were very expensive, and I got a better deal on the BFG's. I think that the traction should be about the same, hopefully the REVO's are quieter. I think that both tires have a really good reputation, probably hard to go wrong with either. Let us know what you think of them.
driving.gif

Man, I traded in my Goodyears on some Bridgestone Revo Duelers A/T's, 285x75x16. What a difference. I love this tire and can't wait to get some snow to try them in. The goodyears lasted me 68,000 miles and still had a little tread life left. But, they were slick as snot on wet roads. I had to off them and decided on the Duelers. I do all highway driving. 95%+. I have no problem with these. They wear great as I have just turned 80K. I have a Dodge Durango 2K3 4x4. My wife has an XC90 with Michelins that are just about ready to change so I am going to get her the Dueler H/L's. Perfect for her. I also have Bridgestone Potenzas on my Audi. Great tires!!
cheers.gif

Reading between the lines on their ads the Revos appear to be like the various Blizzaks, with the special rubber comprising about half the tread depth; can anyone verify this ?

I have the Revos AT tire on my Yukon and I love them. I've had them for 3 years now and there's about 75% tread left. Excellent in snow, rain, dry, anything, and not too loud. I highly recommend them as do hundreds on a certain tirerack wibsite.

Well into winter up here in Alberta, tires have performed flasslessly, no need for 4x4 yet.

"If you can easily get Nokian Vatiivas, they are supposed to be the best with the Dueler AT Revos a close second."

One would then expect the Revos to be severe snow rated, which they weren't the last time that I checked. It's more than just a feel good rating around here, as it will determine if you need additional traction devices in some situations.

Quote:

One would then expect the Revos to be severe snow rated, which they weren't the last time that I checked. It's more than just a feel good rating around here, as it will determine if you need additional traction devices in some situations.

The mountain/snowflake is "in part" a marketing tool. Bridgestone has plenty of real winter tires. It is possible that they do not want to muddy the waters or take away from the real winter tires. I have absolutly no doubt that the at revo meets the requirements for the SS rating. Alot of people assume that a snow tire should not be used year round and that mileage will suffer if used in the summer. So there are many possible reasons why bridgestone might choose NOT to put the "mountain" on the tire.

"So there are many possible reasons why bridgestone might choose NOT to put the "mountain" on the tire."

The main one being that it doesn't meet the criteria. Another would be that they don't want people needing heavier load range tires to have the properly rated snowtires ?

The snowflake in the mountain symbol is not a marketing tool, except to the extent that if the symbol is on the tire, that tells you that the tire meets the tire manufacturers' self-imposed criteria for the symbol. These criteria are based on the actual traction of the tire. The symbol and the criteria for it were adopted because the criteria for tires to have the MS, M/S, or M+S rating (all of which mean mud and snow are the same thing) is based solely on the type of tread. For the M+S rating the tread must meet certain criteria based on the size of the tread blocks (which must be large) and the gaps between the blocks. This does not necessarily, or always, translate to superior traction on ice and hardpacked snow or deep snow. Tests have shown that M+S rated AT tires do not have as much traction as a true winter tire with the snowflake inside the mountain symbol.

In addition, one reason that winter (or snow) tires have superior traction is that a true winter tire is made of a softer compound than other types of tires, including the AT tires with the M+S symbol. The softer compound gives the tire a better grip on ice and hardpacked snow in cold weather. Most tires with the snowflake in the mountain rating are made of a softer compound. Many, if not most, tires with the M+S symbol are not.

And remember, the more sipes, the better the traction on ice and hardpacked snow, on both true winter tires and M+S rated AT's. Add studs to the true winter tire and the traction difference between those tires and M+S rated AT's is very high. I know, I've run numerous brands and models of both types of tire in the winter.

On the wear side, I've been running a set of Dueler REVO's in LT 245/75/16 "C" on my '99 F150 for three years and nearly 60,000 miles. The specs have changed slightly on the tires, but when I got them, they started with 17/32 of tread, and I'm now at 6 to 7/32. They did have a 50k tread warranty (no longer offered on the LT tires) and I got that and then some.

A bit noisier now with some uneven wear (need an alignment!), but I will be replacing with the same tire. Best AT tire I've owned to date.

The B.F.G's All-Terrains have the" mountain and snowflake" on the sidewall and they are great in the 6 years I've used them around here in the ice and snow.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back