dual exhaust on chevy tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 tahoe with a 350. I was thinking of putting dual exhaust on, but I got to thinking this might look to wanna beish.
I would love to have that bad $%# sound, but not if it's going to look gay. I mean when you think of a suv, you think family vehicle right? And yes, I have 3 kids. So, do you put dual exhause on a family vehicle? If this was a full size truck like a silverado, I would say no problem forsure, but how many full size suv's have dual exhaust? I think I see more trucks than suv's. Put it this way, and no offense to anyone that has done this, or knows of someone. It's like putting dual exhaust on a 4 banger mid size pick up like a ranger or a S10. In my opinion, you just don't do it cause it looks stupid. So, any thoughts?

There are plenty of nice sounding exhausts that don't over do it in the noise department. I don't like the idea of a Tahoe sounding really loud, but there is nothing wrong with a good tone coming from your V8.

I would reccommend looking on Magnaflow's website. They make some nice sounding exhausts that aren't too loud.

Maybe it's because of where I'm from, but I see nothing wrong with dual exhaust on any pickup or SUV. I wanted to put dual exhaust on my Explorer, I just never got around to it.

If it's what you want then go for it! I like the look of a well-done custom dual-exaust setup myself. Picking your mufflers will make all the difference in the world. I like Borla myself, but they're a little pricey last I checked.

I forgot to say that don't let the year of this vehicle scare you. Yes, she's 11 years old, but she's in very good condition for this year. I keep my vehicles up as best I can. If the tahoe was all rusted out and looked like garbage, I would say no forsure to the dual exhaust.

Gibson and Magnaflow make some nice, mellow sounding exhaust systems. I have a Gibson on my truck and it's just right; I don't want some stupid loud exhaust either.

Get some side-exiting tips for that low key look and you'll be set!!

Do you need the look? My pal loves doing custom exhaust work. Tons of pickups get this done. Since they moved all the tanks inboard of the frame rails, it's down the same side of the truck ..loop over the drive shaft at some point ...and on over the axle and out. The two mufflers may be staggered or not "depending".

It would be a whole lot cheaper to leave the bigger pipe (or install one) and just throw on a lower restrictive muffler.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Gibson and Magnaflow make some nice, mellow sounding exhaust systems. I have a Gibson on my truck and it's just right; I don't want some stupid loud exhaust either.

Get some side-exiting tips for that low key look and you'll be set!!

What about flowmaster?

Flowmaster's sound great but I know on my LSX forum they are dyno proven to be more restrictive than many stock exhausts -- and you lose some power from them.

I don't know if this would apply to your Tahoe though.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
if you like the sound and don't want the poser sort of look that dual tips out the back give you can always just do a turn down tip behind the rear axle.

Yeh the dual out w/ one on the opposite side is played out too much. I'd keep the stock location to give it a sleeper look.

I remember seeing one Ford Thunderbird cruise by and the exhaust was quiet and when he opened it up that is one mean exhaust sound!

Oh and another stuff to look at is drone at crusing RPM. You don't want to be driving at 60MPH @ ~2000 RPM with the windows up and you can hear the exhaust though the cab. I seen people experiment with different setups (different mufflers, glasspack resonators, H pipes, etc) to get rid of the drone.

+1. Everything now has a dual-outlet exhaust system, even if it is just from the muffler to the weather. It has been overdone - looked good in older times, not just seen too much. Youll never have the integrated look of the stock systems, which like them or not, overdone or not, are well-finished.

If you want sound, you do not have to have a true dual exhaust. Perhaps a dual outlet muffler or just a different muffler/cat back will do it.

I wouldnt be tied to a dual exhaust.

a buddy of mine has the same truck as you, and put a kinda loud dual exhaust on it, and while it sounds amusing at times, it just doesnt fit with the upscale image a luxury family SUV like the Tahoe truly is. Kinda sounds a bit juvenile if you ask me. A dual exhaust doesnt have to be louder to be more efficient tho. I think if it was quieter or close to stock sound level, it'd look and sound great. Just my 2 cents =)

I have the stock muffler replaced with a Magnaflow, and the resonator deleted from my Expedition. It still has the stock tailpipe. It sounds awesome, and looks stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back