DTD July 4 sale, best tire deal I ever got

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a set of Cooper CS5 for my 2015 Civic, which is wearing out its mediocre OE Firestone tires. $77 per tire, $75 back from Cooper, $70 back from DTD, $60 back for using Discount's credit card. After rebate total delivered price equals $103 for 4 great tires, no sales tax. Local shop will install and balance for $12 per tire. I always seem to miss out on these kinds of things, I finally snagged one. Their credit card has almost predatory interest rates and terms but I'll just pay the balance as soon as I get the bill, although I believe I could take up to six months with no interest on this purchase.

Does Discount Tire have sales like this on all holidays?

Best is to wait till last day when they are out of stock on some tires. Then you call, the salesman will upgrade to a better tire if they are out of what you called about.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What size tires on the Civic?

195/65/15. LX sedan. Sometimes it pays to be cheap and buy the base model.

The Pirelli tires were the craziest extreme coupon deal.

P-Zero All Season Plus 225/45/17
Original Price: $146
60 mfg rebate
100 discount tire sale rebate
60 credit card rebate
-----
Final Price $91
Then talk them into using the Hunter GSP9700 to balance them.

Can you get the credit card approval and be able purchase to get the $60 for using DTD credit card the same day?

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
Can you get the credit card approval and be able purchase to get the $60 for using DTD credit card the same day?
Yes

Originally Posted By: chuck wood
The Pirelli tires were the craziest extreme coupon deal.

P-Zero All Season Plus 225/45/17
Original Price: $146
60 mfg rebate
100 discount tire sale rebate
60 credit card rebate
-----
Final Price $91
Then talk them into using the Hunter GSP9700 to balance them.

That's good but should be noted that the price is $91 per tire. With the OP, he paid $103 for all four tires or $25.75 per.

Quote:
..... Their credit card has almost predatory interest rates and terms but I'll just pay the balance as soon as I get the bill, although I believe I could take up to six months with no interest on this purchase....

Having used the DT card for several tire purchases now and gotten the added promo rebates, if you're intent is using it for anything other than making 'at least' the minimum monthly payment and paying off by end of interest free promo time, I'd say forget using it. I've never checked the interest rates as I had/have no intent on not doing the above. Easy enough to set up automatic payments for the promo period either through Synchrony or your own bank's online bill pay. 'IMO', no excuse for getting charged interest other than being irresponsible with monthly payments.

As for sales, DT&DTD have them throughout the the year on holidays and Black Friday. Thinking next will be Labor Day. In my observation, not all as good as this one though.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
..... Their credit card has almost predatory interest rates and terms but I'll just pay the balance as soon as I get the bill, although I believe I could take up to six months with no interest on this purchase....

Having used the DT card for several tire purchases now and gotten the added promo rebates, if you're intent is using it for anything other than making 'at least' the minimum monthly payment and paying off by end of interest free promo time, I'd say forget using it. I've never checked the interest rates as I had/have no intent on not doing the above. Easy enough to set up automatic payments for the promo period either through Synchrony or your own bank's online bill pay. 'IMO', no excuse for getting charged interest other than being irresponsible with monthly payments.

As for sales, DT&DTD have them throughout the the year on holidays and Black Friday. Thinking next will be Labor Day. In my observation, not all as good as this one though.

The interest rate is almost 30% APR, just shy of Mafia rates lol. It's almost enough to make you not get the card just on principle despite the 60 dollar savings and knowing I will just pay it off immediately and never use it for anything but DTD purchases. What made this deal so great was the Cooper rebate combining with the DTD rebates.

Quote:
.....It's almost enough to make you not get the card just on principle despite the 60 dollar savings...

The key is "you" being you, not me. As I said, completely irrelevant to me what the interest rate is as no intention to ever use it. And if principle more important than savings, sounds like that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face imo.

Pay it off all at once if you chose. But as noted, simple set up of auto payment makes using Synchrony Finance money for six months or more depending on purchase amount, ez as pie. I like using other folks money for free. So really that considered, more than the $60 rebate.

Bottom line, not enough to make you not use it. And, you can always cut the card up after the purchase paid for just on principle.
55.gif

I've used the DT card promo for two DT Cooper tire purchases in addition Cooper rebate in the last year and half. Nice to get the extra six months to pay both times in addition to card promo rebate.

Quote:
.....It's almost enough to make you not get the card just on principle despite the 60 dollar savings...

The key is "you" being you, not me. As I said, completely irrelevant to me what the interest rate is as no intention to ever use it. And if principle more important than savings, sounds like that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face imo.

Pay it off all at once if you chose. But as noted, simple set up of auto payment makes using Synchrony Finance money for six months or more depending on purchase amount, ez as pie. I like using other folks money for free. So really that considered, more than the $60 rebate.

Bottom line, not enough to make you not use it. And, you can always cut the card up after the purchase paid for just on principle.
55.gif

I've used the DT card promo for two DT Cooper tire purchases in addition Cooper rebate in the last year and half. Nice to get the extra six months to pay both times in addition to card promo rebate.

Everything you say is true enough. Paying it off all at once isn't a hardship for me, and with current interest and investment returns, additional savings by spreading out the payments is minimal and iffy. I'll definitely keep the card and I'm sure I will use it for additional purchases like this one. I just hate to see anyone ever charged such exorbitant rates, even if they do agree to that upfront. I guess most store credit cards are like this, they are easy to qualify for, and are targeted at people with poor credit, thus the predatory rate. If you handle it smartly, either your way or mine, they are a great deal.

None in Pennsylvania, or I would have been charged sales tax. Not sure about other states. But if you go to www.discounttire.com you'll be asked to enter your zip code and it will tell you if there are any actual stores within your area.

What about age of the new tires purchased. Are they say within one year old? Wife don't put many miles and I don't run any past six years etc.

Quote:
None in Pennsylvania, or I would have been charged sales tax. Not sure about other states.....

That would make Pa very different than NC and I suspect most other states then. DT and DTD are considered separate companies for tax purposes. And afaik only those states with an actual DTD presence, ie., tire warehouses, are charged tax at DTD. Many DT b&m stores in NC but no tax charged here buying at DTD. Frequently and regularly have used the DTD no tax price to price match at local b&m DT and negotiate best price. And NC now even charges tax on Amazon with no b&m presence.

As for taking full advantage of the six months interest free payment period, not a matter of being a hardship for me to pay off in full right away. A matter of common sense with the ease of spreading the payments using a simple auto pay option. And while the interest advantage may be minimal now, they are not iffy. Not mention the benefit of keeping one's own money longer.

Quote:
None in Pennsylvania, or I would have been charged sales tax. Not sure about other states.....

That would make Pa very different than NC and I suspect most other states then. DT and DTD are considered separate companies for tax purposes. And afaik only those states with an actual DTD presence, ie., tire warehouses, are charged tax at DTD. Many DT b&m stores in NC but no tax charged here buying at DTD. Frequently and regularly have used the DTD no tax price to price match at local b&m DT and negotiate best price. And NC now even charges tax on Amazon with no b&m presence.

As for taking full advantage of the six months interest free payment period, not a matter of being a hardship for me to pay off in full right away. A matter of common sense with the ease of spreading the payments using a simple auto pay option. And while the interest advantage may be minimal now, they are not iffy. Not mention the benefit of keeping one's own money longer.

Interesting that they are considered different companies for tax purposes. In any event, they don't have any stores or warehouses or any physical presence in Pennsylvania.

What about age of the new tires purchased. Are they say within one year old? Wife don't put many miles and I don't run any past six years etc.

That probably varies by individual purchase. But DTD sells a lot of tires so I imagine their inventory is as fresh as anybody's. I don't like to go by a strict age limit. Some tires will crack badly before six years, some will last much longer. I put so many miles on so quickly I don't have to worry about it anyway. But back when I put on less, my tires generally had some cracking within a few years. Storing the tires in a warehouse shouldn't be as hard on them as sitting out in the sun and being driven, so I think a year in storage is probably equivalent to only a few months of usage if that.

Most of the sets I've ordered during these sales are 4 to 6 months old. I got a set of CS5s this sale - they were from March 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back