DSMO extract

Status
Not open for further replies.
doh! ignore my other thread

It's a solvent that is being used in a popular oil, wondered if someone could provide some more info about it's use.

Do you mean DiMethylSulfOxide? It's used in some health circles as a skin penetration enhancer...never heard of its use in automotives...

DMSO is a solvent that is extracted from paper pulp manufactureing. It was origanaly sold as a degreaser and paint thiner. It has superb penatration through the skin. It can be used to break up scar tisssue under skin and increases the effectiveness of other drugs. It can be taken topicaly or oraly. It has been tested for over 35 years by a Dr. at Harvard I belive. It used to be used in pill form for Kidney disease as well as powder mixed with sterile saline for IV use in dialysis(sp)centers. It is seldom used at all now days. In medical circles is it refered to as RIMSO and is sometimes used to treat cronick bladder infections along with silver nitrate.

I used it through High School to rehab several really bad injuries. I combined it with electrical stimulation and weight training.

Seeing how DMSO is a degreaser and was used for years by mechanics to degrease things I do not think it would be of benifit to engine oil!!! DMSO is usualy 10%-32% mixed with distilled water. Seldom do you find it in it's 100% form.

i use it for chronic tendonitis. you have to be VERY careful that your skin is perfectly clean and you wear rubber gloves when applying it. if you have soap on your hands it gets throuigh the skin with the DSMO and it could kill you.

It is being used in a popular two cycle oil, or at least an "extract of dsmo". I'm just curious as to what function it serves not trying to reveal anyones secret additive (why I'm not mentioning the brand)

I still have a small jar of the horsey stuff from years ago. Used it on my shims and forearms after full contact karate when I was young and dumb. Just touch the stuff and you can taste it, olives and garlic, got to where I couldn't stand it anymore so quit using it. Forgot about it until it showed up on a tech paper recently and I could see where it might work.

People grind up aspirin and mix it with dmso and rub it on sore joints for relief. Others do it with ground up aspirin and WD-40. They may not be approved methods, but people claim it works and it's cheaper than prescription drugs, an unlike a lot of drugs, keeps working.

DMSO is a highly effective chelating agent - one end of the molecule has a chemical structure that is both highly polar and has the spatial characteristics to "grab" heavy metal ions and hang on. The other end of the molecule is non-polar and that makes DMSO soluble in simple hydrocarbons.

In essence, it's a powerful chemical agent with the characteristics of a "detergent" at the molecular level. While it has both medical and industrial uses, it's toxic as heck and should be avoided at every opportunity.

Cheers
JJ

"IP 346, DMSO extract < 3%" looks very popular in MSDSes with "highly refined mineral oil"s". It's in the BP's monogrades, GTX magnetecs etc. Even if it is propriety, it is alreadily public.

DMSO has been used in waterbased cleaning formulations of waterbased printing inks. It was used only in automated cleaning systems, no hand cleaning. It was found to have great results as a mean of penetrating dried inks. But absolutly yes it penetrates through skin and carries any potential toxins with it.

As I recall the industrial grade product had a very high freeze point and always had a mysterious, very visible cloud of vapors present. Don't feel that its a healthy choice coupled with used motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back