drying inside of car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while my car was at the shop outside the sun roof was open key wouldn't turn so I couldn't close it. I put a tarp over it and strapped it down but it rained so hard it didn't matter. Black floor boards are pretty wet. I tool a shop vac to it and a dehumidifier for the night . Is there anything else that works really well?

I would keep the windows down as much as possible(don't let it get rained in again) Do you have a garage you can park it in? If so normal electric fans blowing in the car with the doors/windows open would help. If you open the doors disconnect the battery to avoid running it down.

I also think the dehumidifier was a good move. You could also take an electric hair dryer too it, just be careful not to burn the fabric, I have used hair dryers for big spills on mattresses with good success I imagine it would work great in car interior.

Last edited:
Your car must have some sort of manual override for the sunroof. Maybe a key with the tools?

Home Depot rents those high power blowers for under carpet, if you position it right I'm sure it can really blow it dry

Moving supply stores sell vented containers which you refill with silica gel to be used to keep the air dry in storage units. Might work for the last stage in drying out your car. On that note, I wonder if a bag is of silica gel cat litter in an open container would be a cheaper alternative...

I had a leak once and has the same thing.

Use some big bath towels, and press down into the carpet so they absorb dome water from the foam under the carpet. That foam is acting like a sponge.

Then dehumidifier.

It's summer. Park the car in the sun and let it get hot. Airflow through does help.

A long road trip helps.

If the car is sitting, some damp rid can help. But secure it before moving!

Leave it in the sun with the windows down an inch. The heat will boil more water out of places.

The best fix is ripping out the seats and carpet and laying them on hot pavement.

Take a trip to Tucson and let it sit in the sun with windows down for a day especially this time of the year.

Smoky

I wet-vac my carpet and upholstry every few years. I use copious amounts of wash and rinse water, and sometimes have to chase spots and hit them several times to clean them.

When I'm done I roll the windows down and leave the car out in the sun all day. Sometimes two days in a row.

A large shop-vac, elbow grease, sunshine, a box fan, and windows down would be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back