dry lube, white lithium, and bulk grease for stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

It seems that on door stops on new cars are covered in grease (or perhaps nothing in some applications). In my wife's VW, it is a grey moly-looking grease, on my MB and BMW, it looks like a light-tan/clear grease. My saab has a plastic door stop like my BMW, but no grease. There is a coating on it, which feels more or less like a clear waxy coating, similar to what is found on new bicycle chains.

Often times I see mechanics spraying white lithium all over door stops and door hinges. Not sure if this is best, or if there is a benefit to one type over another. The grease used on the stops and hinges on the wife's VW seems to pick up dirt easier, but they are more out in the open than on the BMW and MBs.

ANy suggestions? What about dry lube? Liquid wrench sprays a dry lube which Im thinking of trying on the saab. ANy thoughts?

I'm using good old white lithium grease on my doors.

You might see what MB and BMW are using.

They might sell you a can of it.

Wasn't there a recent thread warning us not to lube plastic door stops?... or at least not to lube it with conventional grease.

Start with the owner's manual and see what it says.

A recent thread? I didnt find one searching the grease section, or using google to search the site. Any leads? Was it not in this section - perhaps in the maintenance area?

No real info in the OM for the plastic stops... therein lies the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back