Dropped harddrive

I was mounting a NVR in a rack and the harddrive popped out of the drive bay and unfortunately onto a concrete floor. Noting looks physically damaged on the harddrive but the NVR is not accepting the harddrive.

I don't have a PC I can plug it into so I can run CrystalDisk Info.

All it takes is a good drop, bump or hit to destroy a hard drive, no physical damage has to be present.

the G shock easily offed it.. concrete is not forgiving.. even wood has some give.
If not physically beat it might be possible to warranty?

Sometimes if they aren't spinning they'll live, but that's usually in a laptop with whatever plastic deformity comes from the case.

Direct onto concrete: RIP

Why not toss it and get a SSD. They are pretty cheap now.
Big SSDs are $$$$
Not an ideal case for mass storage devices. There also used to be a read/write capacity issue, but it's been a while and that may not be a thing anymore.

Big SSDs are $$$$
Not an ideal case for mass storage devices. There also used to be a read/write capacity issue, but it's been a while and that may not be a thing anymore.
A 1 TB drive is only $52

A 1 TB drive is only $52

He said it's 8TB

In this application, I don't think the same benefit would be there since it's not booting an operating system or regularly making specific storage drive calls.

Once you get into big drives like this often they are packed so tightly between just the sheer number of platters stacked in them as well as the size of the heads and basically everything just gets all that much more delicate. I don't THINK any desktop sized drives are using glass plates these days(actually I've never encountered them in a desktop drive I've drilled or shot, and I've done boxes of them at a time including early/mid-2000s DeskStars which some people claim have them), but if they are I'd guess there's a decent chance those didn't survive.

RAID 1 is always a super-safe option, but if you can swing 3 drives total you might compromise and go RAID 5 so you're getting more capacity at the expense of some absolute data security. Back when I use to play with enterprise grade stuff at home(I was young, single, bored, and got the stuff free dumpster diving at work) I never had an issue restoring 3-disk RAID 5 arrays although it can definitely get iffy when you get to the 4 or 5 disk arrays a lot of people use.

Whats an NVR?

Like a lot of questions you ask in this section, a few seconds of Googling could answer it. NVR is "network video storage"-basically a high-capacity storage device usually meant to do things like store security footage.

SSDs are not only a waste in this sort of application, but with frequent re-writes, typically infrequent reads, and often the need for a lot of storage SSDs can actually be a detrimental addition. High capacity spinning drives, especially ones purpose made for these applications, are by far the better choice cost aside.

Like a lot of questions you ask in this section, a few seconds of Googling could answer it. NVR is "network video storage"-basically a high-capacity storage device usually meant to do things like store security footage.

SSDs are not only a waste in this sort of application, but with frequent re-writes, typically infrequent reads, and often the need for a lot of storage SSDs can actually be a detrimental addition. High capacity spinning drives, especially ones purpose made for these applications, are by far the better choice cost aside.

Don’t many newer setups use a combination? Especially when response time to access more recent video is important?

I was mounting a NVR in a rack and the harddrive popped out of the drive bay and unfortunately onto a concrete floor. Noting looks physically damaged on the harddrive but the NVR is not accepting the harddrive.

Not a good thing. Drive is shot.

Sadly, under no circumstances can/should this drive be trusted: Its total failure has either already occurred or is imminent and unpredictable.

I get the issues here, but I have heard of some SLC-only SSDs that are designed for industrial applications. A lot of newer drives might have an endurance of about 500-1000 cycles, which is fine for most personal computers, but an SLC SSD might have closer to 100,000 cycles. It would obviously be more expensive, but those are also faster and more robust.

Sadly, under no circumstances can/should this drive be trusted: Its total failure has either already occurred or is imminent and unpredictable.
This. I would never trust a dropped HDD, its may work for a little bit but if the head or platter was damaged you have no idea when it will stop working.

Back