Dropped a tool in the TC bung hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Subaru Legacy, 2.2L automatic

I was trying to remove the crankshaft bolt (bottom pic), stuck a 3/8" short extension into the Torque Converter bung hole and it accidently went down into that hole.

Any idea what I can do now? Do I need to remove the tranny to access it? The crankshaft bolt doesn't turn so easily in one spot now.

bung_hole1.jpg

crankshaft1.jpg

Get one of those magnets with a telescoping handle and pray. On some year? engines there was an inspection cover on the bottom.

Last edited:
If you can't grab it with a magnet or mechanical fingers then I guess you gotta take it apart. Usually with Subaru's it's faster and easier to pull the engine than the trans.

LOL.gif
Oh, you poor ba$tard.

I have little to add- magnets, mechanical fingers, access covers, or disassembly are your only options. I know next to nothing about Subarus, but I'd be looking for either a dust/access cover that can be removed or maybe see if removing the starter will gain you any access.

Also, I've retrieved dropped parts in particularly sticky situations using a telescoping magnet. Craftsman makes one with a lifetime warranty- the advantage being that you can bend the thing however you need to... then when you're done with that particular job, take it back and get a new one.

As tempting as it might be, I'd strongly advise you NOT to start the engine (I speak from experience here)- and I'd further suggest that you avoid barring it over, as you don't know exactly what is causing the interference. Might damage the rear crank seal carrier, transmission pump, or other assorted soft aluminum thingys in there.

I have a telescoping magnet and I tried to reach it, to no avail. It looks like it's at the very bottom. It is telescopic but it doesn't flex. I can try the flexing one as the last resort but I have doubts.

I am in over my head on this Subaru Legacy timing belt/crankshaft seal project, I am so p1ssed off right now, at myself for the most part, that I am just considering putting the thing on Ebay or Craiglist (and losing tons of tokens on it).

Or maybe I will just grind my teeth for a while, take a deep breath and remove the engine. I did remove the engine on a Subaru Loyale a few years ago. But it took me about 2 weeks to do that, working a few hours every day. Putting it back together is the big question.

get a strong magnet, magnetize a nut, tie string on it and drop it in. magnetize it by rubbing it on the magnet. you may just have to rig something---or buy a tool and cut it or something to get it in...fabrication of some sort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pacem

I am in over my head on this Subaru Legacy timing belt/crankshaft seal project, I am so p1ssed off right now, at myself for the most part, that I am just considering putting the thing on Ebay or Craiglist (and losing tons of tokens on it).

Or maybe I will just grind my teeth for a while, take a deep breath and remove the engine. I did remove the engine on a Subaru Loyale a few years ago. But it took me about 2 weeks to do that, working a few hours every day. Putting it back together is the big question.

Naw your not. It should take you maybe 45 minutes to yank the engine. While it's out put it on the bench where it's easy to work on and do your timing belt stuff.

Then an hr to put it back in. Add some new coolant and run it. Make sure that you burp the cooling system before driving it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Could you get a shop-vac hose in there? Whadda freaking disaster!

Joel

That's actually not a bad idea. Get some small diameter flexible tubing, duct tape it to the end of the shop vac hose and go fishing with it. I've cleaned out drain traps doing this.

The bonus of yanking the engine is that you can...

-detail the engine bay
-detail the engine

However, I'm sure that is the least of your concerns right now.

Thanks for encouragement, I feel much better today. Might just end up yanking the engine if none of these cures work. A blessing in disguise?

One hour and 45 minutes to yank the engine, fix it, and replace it???
Yeah right.....

I'd consider making a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing casting. A hole saw will give you access. You can make a cover plate and epoxy it on later, or use any number of hole fixing ideas.
I'm sure this will work and save you a LOT of grief.

Don't know if you have access to an engine hoist (and again, don't know nothin' about no Subaru). But it might be possible to unbolt the torque converter and the bellhousing, then pull the engine foreward just far enough to remove the tool. Might save you the trouble of disconnecting MOST things from the engine.

BTW- there HAS to be some sort of cover to allow access to remove the torque converter bolts. Don't know where it is or if it'll be much help, but there has to be some sort of access.

Originally Posted By: onion
Don't know if you have access to an engine hoist (and again, don't know nothin' about no Subaru). But it might be possible to unbolt the torque converter and the bellhousing, then pull the engine foreward just far enough to remove the tool. Might save you the trouble of disconnecting MOST things from the engine.

I will look into this, thanks.

Originally Posted By: onion

BTW- there HAS to be some sort of cover to allow access to remove the torque converter bolts. Don't know where it is or if it'll be much help, but there has to be some sort of access.

That bung hole where the OP dropped the tool is the normal place to access the torque converter bolts.

There's another opening on the bottom, but access is blocked by the crossmember. Unbolting the engine mounts and pitching stopper then lifting the engine a few inches may allow access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back