Drop in Gas mileage in '12 Charger 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a '12 Charger SXT RWD 3.6 Pentastar engine 11,756miles. I was CONSISTENTLY getting 24 city deviating 1mpg up or down, on the highway I would cruise at 80MPH on !95 and get 29-31mpg. I am now getting 18 city and 22 highway. I am at a total loss since this has been going on the last 5 fill-ups at various stations BP,Sunoco so I know it cant be bad gas quality because these were the same stations I was always using. Anyone have any clue on what it may be, similar experiences?
I have used Techron every 3-4k (3 times total).

Thanks in advance

Buddy of mine's mpg went way down, turned out neighborhood kids were stealing his gas.

1) If you have increased the weight of the vehicle by packing the trunk, and or backseat with items you want to have in the vehicle, adding significant weight to the vehicle can decrease gas millage.

2) Get a locking gas cap.

3) Be sure the tires are not low on air pressure.

4) Get it aligned at a good alignment shop.

5) If you drive often where there are a lot of traffic lights so you end up having to stop for red lights, pay attention to how fast you are going when you first hit the brake. The energy absorbed by your brakes is a function of mass times the velocity squared. All things being equal (same vehicle carrying same amount of weight, on the same road), a driver who is going 40 MPH when they begin applying the brake for a red light ahead of them is making the brakes dissipate 4 times as much energy as a different driver who is going only 20 MPH when they have to begin braking for a red light. (Even though 40 MPH is only twice as fast as 20 MPH, because energy is a function of velocity squared, the result is a square of the speed) And this ties into MPGs because that energy dissipated by the brakes is first put into getting the vehicle moving (unless the vehicle is getting energy to move by drifting down a hill) by the engine burning fuel. When you drive in areas where you know there are several traffic lights that you will have to go through, realize in advance that when there are several traffic lights you most likely will ketch a red light, and save fuel by not going fast, so when you first apply the brake you are going at a slower speed.

I see drivers all the time who have to be going 10 MPH or more over the speed limit, and they weave in traffic so they can keep going fasts, only to end up having to apply brake for a red light at a high speed, and therefore they don't get a decent MPG. And they also wear out the tires and brakes faster. If they want to drive the vehicle like it is in a road race, and they want to experience the acceleration, side forces, and fast stops, hay it is a free country, but they are paying for it in gas millage, tire wear, and brake wear. And possibly traffic tickets, and or accidents.

Some of these people seem like they are in a hurry, and some of them seem like they just want to beat the vehicle to enjoy accelerating, weaving through traffic, and braking hard. In the end there is no way these people are going to get the gas millage that some driving a similar vehicle can get just by not being going fast when they have to apply brake for a red light.

Originally Posted By: dave2009
Summer fuel formulation?

Would improve MPG not reduce it.

chubbs1;

I can't answer your question but my 2011 Jeep Patriot all of a sudden is doing the same thing out of the blue. MPG has dropped 2-3 MPG for average and more higwhay. No changes in anything just like your situation. Has a new air filter, tires are properly inflated, etc...

Weird.

Thank all of you guys for the posts! I think I am going to take it in to the dealership and have them check it out while it is still under full warranty.

I will eat my shoes if the dealer would do *anything* about your complaint especially because it is still under warranty!

You will get familiar with three letters "NPF" No Problem Found!

Might more spirited driving in the nice spring conditions have something to do with it?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
That's a lot of Techron.

+1 way too much. I use a bottle every 20,000 miles and my cars go well over 100k and some to 200k with no fuel injection issues.

Originally Posted By: sasha
why so much techron for a new car.

My thoughts too.
My Civic has almost 60K miles and Ive used Redline SI-1 once.
MPG is still awesome.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why do you care? OP certainly does not! He has not replied.

Because other people read these threads and may think adding a bottle of FIC that often is harmful( which it is not ). Why do you care that I care?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back