Droid Incredible vs. Samsung Fascinate Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a long time Verizon Blackberry Curve user and am thinking of upgrading to a new smart phone. The Droid Incredible uses the Google Android operating system and has great reviews but a very short battery life. It also comes with an 8.0 megapixel camera. Upgrade for 2 phones (wife and I) would be $299.00 total.

The other phone under consideration is the new Samsung Fascinate which also is an Android phone but Verizon has removed the Google Browser and replaced it with Bing, which I'm told cannot be removed. (not that it matters to me at this point.) Battery life is advertised at 314 hours on standby, and the phone includes a 5.0 megapixel camera. The bonus is Verizon is offering Buy one-get one free, so for $99, I can get 2 phones!

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I just went from the Blakberry Curve to the Dinc myself about 2 months ago. The Dinc has some outstanding features, but a couple drawbacks in comparison to the Curve.

First, the battery issue is easily resolved. Versizon sells an extended battery. It is OEM by HTC, comes with a replacement back plate, and helps the phone last a long time. I turn my phone off each night around 9pm, back on in the morning, and have to charge it every other day.

The Dinc is really incredibly fast in comparison to the Curve. VERY FAST. Even against the newest BLackberries.

The biggest drawback I found: the Curve could be set to turn itself on or off by clock, saving battery life. If the alarm was on and the phone was off, it would turn itself on to sound the alarm. The Dinc will do none of this. And if your alarm is set but the phone is off, you will just plain miss the alarm. This bit of a drawback is probably common to all Android phones.

I have no experienc or opinion of the Fascinate, but I hope this little bt about the Dinc helps. There's lots of user forums out there that cover the Dinc too, so easy to get more information.

Vic

Definitely don't get Samsung. From what I've heard their OS is not upgradable to a later versions. Incredible is good, but despite being just 5-6 months old is already outdated. If you want a good google phone I would suggest you get the latest possible phone like Motorola DroidX or Droid2. DroidX has a bigger screen, but lacks in battery life because of that. Droid 2 on the other hand has a better battery life, keyboard, and a little bit smaller, but heavier because of the keyboard.

Forgot to add. Both moto phones are upgradable to a latest Google Android OS versions and will be supported for the next year for sure. I don't know about Incredible.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The newest Android OS release, Froyo, has already been released over-the-air to all Dincs. I'm not sure what you mean ahout it being outdated.....

Vic

I just picked up the Droid X a couple of months ago and I love it! The screen is actually large enough to make web browsing useful from such a small device, and it is just overall an excellent phone for me.

Go and play with all of the VZW Android phones and see which one you like the best. I have the Inc and love it. I think the screen size is perfect but if you want 4"+ then go with another phone. One thing to consider is that each manufacturer has their own "launcher" that sits on top of Android. HTC Sense is the best out there. Do some googling and you'll see....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I just picked up the Droid X a couple of months ago and I love it! The screen is actually large enough to make web browsing useful from such a small device, and it is just overall an excellent phone for me.

Just got my wife an X also. I'm a little jealous because her screen is larger than my Incredible. Both are good phones and I like the Android operating system.

I would get the Droid 2, since it has a real keyboard, even though I hate slider phones.

I tried the ATT version of the Samsung phone and I did not care for the screen. The response was slow and the housing felt cheap.

My sis has a Droid X. She bought when it just came out and loves it better than her previous IPhone. I bought my wife Droid 2. She likes it, but complains that it's more of a guy phone - quite big and heavy. I do like the construction of Droid 2 better. For me Droid X has too much of the screen... :)

Beyond happy with the Droid Incredible.

On a side note most apps don't wow me much. However I love Google Sky Map. A map of constellations (with finder) that my 3 and 5 yr old and I love to find the stars and planets . You just point your phone at the sky.

Last edited:
I have the tricorder application on my Droid Inc. Now I'm just waiting for the phaser application to come out on Droid Marketplace.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Don't get the Incredible. Get the Droid X.

I own an Incredible. I can't wait to get rid of it.

Is it really that bad? Why?

I've looked at both today, and honestly, the screen quality on the Inc looks better, despite being smaller. X is just too darn huge! Is the battery life on the Inc really that bad? I don't care about the ability to take HD videos.

I have a myTouch 4G and it's a nice phone but the battery life is poor. It will barely make it one day. T Mobile's service is not that great. I just got a Blackberry Bold (Verizon) from work and it has much better reception.

I have the Samsung Captivate, which is AT&T's version of the Galaxy S. I like it alot. Nice screen, solid build, and battery life is pretty good after cycling it. I can get at least one day with moderate use and two days before it dies with little usage.

And you don't really have to worry about updates since the next Google Nexus phone is said to be a version of the Samsung Galaxy S so even if Samsung doesn't release updates in the future, the Android community will be able to port it over to other Galaxy S phones. And these are pretty brick resistant. I've flashed mine multiple times with custom roms and have not had a problem.

And don't put too much weight on the mp numbers on camera phones. There's only so many photons that can go through that pinhole sized sensor. Mine is only 5 mp but it produces good pictures in good light. It doesn't have a flash so it's pretty much unusable in low light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back