DRL, waste of energy or worth keeping on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kestas
Fog stripe? What's that?

The white line painted near the road shoulder. Maybe it's a regional thing? Way back when we were taught that in heavy fog follow that stripe.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I drive with my full headlights on 24 hours a day. Don't care how much "energy" is wasted doing this either.

I used to do the same with all of my previous cars. My current car is the first I've had with DRLs.

Originally Posted by anndel
I leave my DRL on. I was hit by a car while cycling a while ago and the driver said he didn't see me though I have fluorescent yellow jersey on and blinking headlights. He told the police officer I came out of nowhere and that he couldn't see me in his blindspot.

Wow, does this sound familiar. Just over two years ago for me.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
It doesn't matter if it is sunny, cars are more visible from a long distance with the headlights on. That's why Young Drivers driver training taught us to always turn the headlights on and I've done that for 20 years now.

I still don't understand why they're making modern cars without auto lights, or people are turning them off? They're always some dummy driving around in the dark with no lights on. Sometimes the running lights are on at the front but they have no taillights.

Exactly. One less thing to think about. Let the car do the work for you. I've been a lot of dummies driving around in the dark without lights lately. And I know their cars have auto headlights.

It still won't work! Ever been in town at night? The streets are so lit up that you don't NEED your headlights, therefore you forget to turn them on! Then you realize it.

My old Malibu used the high-beam bulbs at reduced power for DRL's. In the 11 years I owned it, I never had a high-beam bulb burn out and I can't say I noticed any increased gas consumption.

The Sonata doesn't have DRL's but it does turn the lights off when you exit the car even if the switch is in the "on" position. I find myself just leaving the lights on 24x7. So far, the only bulb that burned out is the third brake-light, which ironically, is about the only bulb that *isn't* on all the time.

There's a spot on the headlight switch for DRL for my Sonata and it has LED strips on the front for them. I always have them off. I've seen a couple Sonatas where these LEDs are burned out.

The Camry has DRL and they can't be bypassed.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

The newer ones, 2012+ can easily be turned off by turning a dial on the left steering wheel stalk. I think even the 2019's are like that since that was a negative CR mentioned.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
It doesn't matter if it is sunny, cars are more visible from a long distance with the headlights on. That's why Young Drivers driver training taught us to always turn the headlights on and I've done that for 20 years now.

I still don't understand why they're making modern cars without auto lights, or people are turning them off? They're always some dummy driving around in the dark with no lights on. Sometimes the running lights are on at the front but they have no taillights.

Exactly. One less thing to think about. Let the car do the work for you. I've been a lot of dummies driving around in the dark without lights lately. And I know their cars have auto headlights.

It still won't work! Ever been in town at night? The streets are so lit up that you don't NEED your headlights, therefore you forget to turn them on! Then you realize it.

How do you figure it won't work? My 2005 Silverado work truck turns the regular headlights on as soon as it gets dim out. Street lights aren't bright enough for them to stay off. All modern cars should be this way do people aren't driving around with no lights on.

My 83 Caprice had no automatic lights or drl but I turn them on as soon as I start the car. I usually have to replace one sealed beam headlight every 3 years or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Both our vehicles have automatic headlights, but they only work if you turn the switch to AUTO which also keeps the DRLs on until the sensor detects dimming daylight. I leave the wife's in this mode because well...she may forget. . . .

How much energy does it take to leave them in AUTO?

OK, I'll take it as a given that your wife is NOT a member here!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Seriously, my 18 Prius is set up exactly the same way. I just leave them set, using the auto-on feature as a backup in case I were to forget. Incidentally, the car also has the auto hi-lo beam feature, which I use most of the time. As others have noted, I would consider the draw, whatever it is, well worth the safety edge the bit of extra visibility provides. The car also has the new LED headlights (absolutely the best I've ever seen, A++) which only draw about 1/3 the amps of regular halogens (per one of John Kelly's Weber State auto tech videos -- this guy's worth checking out, no matter what you drive). Considering all this, for me, it's a no-brainer, AUTO it is with the DRLs on.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Both our vehicles have automatic headlights, but they only work if you turn the switch to AUTO which also keeps the DRLs on until the sensor detects dimming daylight. I leave the wife's in this mode because well...she may forget. . . .

OK, I'll take it as a given that your wife is NOT a member here!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Seriously, my 18 Prius is set up exactly the same way. I just leave them set, using the auto-on feature as a backup in case I were to forget. Incidentally, the car also has the auto hi-lo beam feature, which I use most of the time. As others have noted, I would consider the draw, whatever it is, well worth the safety edge the bit of extra visibility provides. The car also has the new LED headlights (absolutely the best I've ever seen, A++) which only draw about 1/3 the amps of regular halogens (per one of John Kelly's Weber State auto tech videos -- this guy's worth checking out, no matter what you drive). Considering all this, for me, it's a no-brainer, AUTO it is with the DRLs on.

Good comment. The newer auto settings have a lot of safety consideration without any thinking on our part. To add, It's all about being visible to others and not your visibility.

In a heavy rain storm, I'll have my fog lights on in addition to the headlights. I'm more visible to others.

Like any of the safety nannies, we may think we don't need them but the first time they keep you out of an accident they just paid for themselves in multiples.

My 2005 Chevy Avalanche DRL's bulbs burned out so often I stopped replacing them. Yes, even the latest greatest heavy duty bulbs would only last a few weeks. Also replaced the bulb wiring connections which would get hot and melt as well. Bad wiring design IMO. I've met too many other gmt trucks with burned out drl's to think otherwise.

Originally Posted by gman2304
My 2005 Chevy Avalanche DRL's bulbs burned out so often I stopped replacing them. Yes, even the latest greatest heavy duty bulbs would only last a few weeks. Also replaced the bulb wiring connections which would get hot and melt as well. Bad wiring design IMO. I've met too many other gmt trucks with burned out drl's to think otherwise.

Hmm, the 05 Matrix DRL's are still going strong and just checked them this morning. Has 152k on it. Wish I could say the same about the two broken fog lights that have broken lenses. One of them still works. Need to replace them one of these days. I think pebbles/small rocks on the hwy took them out.

tl;dr so I'm sure this has already been posted but given how much more visibility DRLs give for oncoming traffic it's a no-brainer to use them despite a very slight increase in fuel consumption to keep them running and decrease in bulb life.

It doesn't matter if you're the best, safest driver out there, see and avoid only needs one driver to spot a conflict to avoid a collision and if that means the teen driving too fast while texting happens to see you that half-second earlier, all the better. To disable DRLs to save a tenth or hundredth of an MPG or to avoid having to replace a bulb a few months earlier would be criminal level stupidity considering they could prevent a potentially fatal collision.

In Qc, DRLs are mandatory. Both our daily drivers (14 and 15 years old) still have their factory halogens. DRL doesn't seem to affect longevity much.

If this is an older Camry many Toyotas have a DRL unit the engine bay that can be unplugged. Usually a black cage around it with a yellow warning sticker.

Ever since manufacturers transitioned to LED's I simply cannot stand DRL's because they're bright enough so that some drivers think that their headlights are on. In urban areas at night I see a lot of people just riding around with their DRL's.

Of course the problem is more likely to happen in vehicles which have illuminated consoles.

- The problem with leaving your headlamps in "AUTO" is that it can cause premature wear of bulbs when their cycled on/off such as going under a bridge, or through a particular shady section of roadway, short tunnel, parking garages, etc. Especially HID's (Xenons). I don't know if LED's suffer from this.

Last edited:
I think our Tahoe and Z71 PU are fine as is … short section of LED as DRL and projector beams for headlights …Leave on automatic selection …

. . .

My 2003 Camry's headlight control had a "DRL Off" position. Toyota added the ability to "kill" the DRLs shortly after 2000. It's still there on the current Toyotas, but with variations in labeling on the controls.

I'll leave them off. It won't make a difference on a bright day and if it is gloomy I'll turn them on manually. Over time the headlights will turn yellow and your bulb age, making them not working as well in the long run when you really need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back