Driving w/ busted motor mount cause harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would driving with a busted motor mount cause increased wear? There was a lot of vibration and I was forced to drive it until a new part arrived. I put a lot of miles on it in that condition. Should I change the oil out since it's now fixed? Or should I contiune with my normal OCI?

Not to worry. The internal lubricated parts are not effected by the vibrations caused by a motor mount. The dynamic forces in an engine are so much higher that a little more or a little less are not cause for alarm. Broken motor mounts can cause other problems with the mounts that are not broken, drive shafts, exhaust plumbing and other attachments. I think that if you have driven with a broken motormount and did not break anything else, then good for you. Maybe wash your car this Saturday and you'll be forgiven.

If you survived until the repair was made, I wouldn't worry.

Don't wash your car for forgiveness, wash mine.
wink.gif

If you torque it really hard you could do damage such as breaking the other motor mount or pulling off some of the hoses (hopefully not the fuel line). Drive it gently and you will be okay.

I broke a motor mount on a '77 F150 and every time I gassed it a bit to hard the engine would lift up and the clutch linkage would fall off (old mechanical linkage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back