Driveway sealer and repair that is great? Stuff in stores now is crap! It cracks, etc. no elasticity! Bought In 2019

Driveway sealer and repair that LAST? Stuff in stores now is crap! It cracks,etc. no elasticity!
I bought the best driveway sealer and repair for my driveway from Lowe’s. I also searched Home Depot and other places.
It seems o me, due to new green laws government restriction etc. all the chemicals and materials in the driveway sealer and crack repair that worked and lastEd are now removed. So is it better for the environment to make and sell 10x more plastic and other material, than to make it last! Or to have to pay for a whole new driveway and all the chemicals and material, equipment and machinery, etc. involved!
Now you have to seal and repair your driveway every year. I live in Northern Virginia, not what I would call extreme environment. All sealers seem to be missing chemicals and materials to have any elastic and longevity whatsoever.
Where can I buy or make quality long lasting reasonably priced driveway sealer? How about crack repair?
Merry Christmas and happy new year!

You talking about a sealer or crack repair as these are two different products? For a sealer I use a Siloxane concrete sealer. Need to know how wide are the cracks? Generally, I use a backer rod, stuffed into the crack and Quickcrete or Sika polyurethane self leveling crack filler. You can get these products just about everywhere.

Last edited:
I just repaired my driveway as well, and having the same problem with the store brand crack filler and sealant.

Also, two of the bottles of crack filler that I bought must have been used, refilled with water, dirt, leaves, dog poop, etc. and returned to Lowes before I purchased them. This happened on two different occasions, requiring two separate trips back to the store to try to explain that the intended product was no longer in the bottle.

Are we talking seal coating for asphalt?

There's areas on my ~200ft of asphalt driveway that need to be touched up yearly. I've never been able to successfully seal a crack and not have it re-appear due to movement, but I live where it can be 90F or -10F, lots of snow, etc. Luckily, you can have a driveway my square footage, in my area "professionally" seal-coated for around $200.

The only way to deal with cracks would be to use the hot gooey stuff road crews use, but seal coatings won't stick to that. It's a stand alone product.

I haven't found much of a difference in the sealing products in the past 30yrs or so in terms of how they hold up for me.

Here's some previous threads to get you started:

There are more if you search, it's an easy term in the search bar.

Why search? Easier to ask a simple question. There's always new ideas for everyone to add.

Why search? Easier to ask a simple question. There's always new ideas for everyone to add.
The previous threads also contain useful information.

My post was completely factual and wasn’t snarky or mean. Are you so invested in making your response you don’t see that?

Driveway sealer and repair that LAST? Stuff in stores now is crap! It cracks,etc. no elasticity!
I bought the best driveway sealer and repair for my driveway from Lowe’s. I also searched Home Depot and other places.
It seems o me, due to new green laws government restriction etc. all the chemicals and materials in the driveway sealer and crack repair that worked and lastEd are now removed. So is it better for the environment to make and sell 10x more plastic and other material, than to make it last! Or to have to pay for a whole new driveway and all the chemicals and material, equipment and machinery, etc. involved!
Now you have to seal and repair your driveway every year. I live in Northern Virginia, not what I would call extreme environment. All sealers seem to be missing chemicals and materials to have any elastic and longevity whatsoever.
Where can I buy or make quality long lasting reasonably priced driveway sealer? How about crack repair?
My driveway is asphalt. Cracks range from hairline to half inch.

Both the sealant and crack filler do not last more than a season used per Instructions.

Last edited:

pre my post here, I searched here and elsewhere I also went to LOWES, HOME DESPOT, ETC.

Also as I said in my original post, if you had read it. I think the formulations has been changed at some point in the last couple years!
So what people had access to pre and post is not the same. It also seems paints and stains for wood have also been ruined either by ignorant and or greedy greenie/leftist that think it is better to have to reapply every year, the worthless chemicals that they make us use. Also how about all the supplies, wrappers and containers wasted...versus letting us use something that we apply and use much less often? So is it better for the environment to let us apply say once in 10 years or every year? And remember all the fuel wasted to drive to the store and all the containers, and products wasted every time we have to paint, seal, fill, prepare the surfaces etc.

It is similar to the crap ethanol fuel for our mowers, chainsaws, weed wackers, limb trimmers, leaf blowers, motorcycles, automobile, boats, etc... When we had easy access to real gas we did not have to buy chemicals and waste time, and replacing and cleaning parts damaged by the crap ethanol we are forced to buy. Also the ethanol gives us less fuel economy and is much more costly to make!

I hate the way professional seal coat companies cover cracks with gooey tar which is all you're left with after a couple of years. So I started filling the cracks with patch they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's. Just in the crack. Not overlapping. It's not solid, moves around and settles. Then when they spray it's pretty much seamless. So far so good with that method.

Also as I said in my original post, if you had read it. I think the formulations has been changed at some point in the last couple years!
So what people had access to pre and post is not the same. It also seems paints and stains for wood have also been ruined either by ignorant and or greedy greenie/leftist that think it is better to have to reapply every year, the worthless chemicals that they make us use. Also how about all the supplies, wrappers and containers wasted...versus letting us use something that we apply and use much less often? So is it better for the environment to let us apply say once in 10 years or every year? And remember all the fuel wasted to drive to the store and all the containers, and products wasted every time we have to paint, seal, fill, prepare the surfaces etc.

It is similar to the crap ethanol fuel for our mowers, chainsaws, weed wackers, limb trimmers, leaf blowers, motorcycles, automobile, boats, etc... When we had easy access to real gas we did not have to buy chemicals and waste time, and replacing and cleaning parts damaged by the crap ethanol we are forced to buy. Also the ethanol gives us less fuel economy and is much more costly to make!
Okay. I’m not sure of the exact correlation to EtOH use in fuel but I’ll take your word for it.

I can answer your questions with some level of knowledge as my son-in-law owns a payment maintenance company near Hartford CT. I have asked a million questions to get a good understanding.

The professionals use hot rubber to fill cracks. Either from a push cart with a heater or a larger trailer mounted setup also with a heater and a hose on a boom. But even when a pro fills cracks they often reappear in same spot as there is an underlying issue with the base. There are some DIY products that use hot rubber. Unsure how well they work.

As for sealer, coal tar does a good job but is not very good for the environment. You won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot.

The best sealer that is not bad for the environment is a petroleum resin based sealer. Look for Neyra Force (brand).

There is also Rust-oleum Epoxy driveway sealer that I have a few buckets of but have yet to try. At HomeDepot but may need to order.

I had my driveway replaced a few years ago because there were a lot of cracks in the many layers of seal coating that the previous owner of the house had done. After the asphalt guys finished up my new driveway I was told not to seal coat it. The driveway need a certain porosity. My driveway is no longer dark black but that's ok. I'll patch cracks if I get any, but no seal coat. YMMV.

Back