Driver's weight and seat damage.

Hi all.

This is a bit weird question. But here it comes.

A friend of mine has got a new job, and it would make sense to drive together to save money.

First of all I would like to clearly point out. That this is in no way an attempt to hurt og bash heavy people. Obesity is running in my own family. I'm also in no way a small guy with my 300 lbs. But he is a bit bigger then me, Weighing almost 350 lbs.

Do you guys think I could risk any sudden dammage to the seats? Ofcourse it will wear out the cushion and padding faster. But any of you guys know examples of Seats that's collapsed or broken in the frame because of a heavy driver?

It's a never corolla cross.

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

How has his previous car seats held up?

Maybe damage if you suddenly collided with a fixed object and that weight in a straped in seat caused it to rip free of the floor. But you would have serious issues in that instance anyway. I'm sure everyday damage will be from fabric wear and cushion compression.

How has his previous car seats held up?

Maybe damage if you suddenly collided with a fixed object and that weight in a straped in seat caused it to rip free of the floor. But you would have serious issues in that instance anyway. I'm sure everyday damage will be from fabric wear and cushion compression.
I've never noticed any damage in his own cars. But it a while since he had his own car.

Between 2002 and 2008 My Father had 2 Ford Mondeo ST220's. Both of them came from the factory with Recaro front seats.

I can't remember which one of the 2 it was, but he had to take a client out one day who was rather big and he flattened the base of the seat entirely within 300miles or so.

I have no problems with big coworkers but I hate how they destroy the interior of work vehicles. The seats 100% get wrecked faster, mostly from getting in and out but if the have any bolsters forget them too. 300 vs 350 lb won't matter but 180 vs 350lb yes, damage is imminent

I have no problems with big coworkers but I hate how they destroy the interior of work vehicles. The seats 100% get wrecked faster, mostly from getting in and out but if the have any bolsters forget them too. 300 vs 350 lb won't matter but 180 vs 350lb yes, damage is imminent
Is it the cushions alone. Are have you experienced broken or loose seats?

If you have heated seats, be careful with wallet from back pocket breaking the heating element wiring from flexing. Pain in the butt to fix for sure, literally.

A while back I had a really fat boss and he would crush the seat tracks of every car he had. The cushion would also get really deformed....I had to drive his car a couple times and couldn't adjust the seat and it was like sitting on a bed. The whole seat tilted to the left!

Is it the cushions alone. Are have you experienced broken or loose seats?
Covers ripped from sliding in and out and the foam gets shifted around / wrecked. Never had to fix a broken or bent seat frame. I also can't stand when people use an arm rest like a load bearing beam and wreck it. It's not meant to hold 200lbs!

Yes it can happen. During the Jurassic era when I was in high school there was a classmate named 'Big Bob'. He was a football player and massive. His daily driver was an elderly 122 Volvo. One day in the parking lot the old Swedish driver seat of his steed just collapsed. Never saw that happen before or again. BTW, obesity doesn't run in my family but noses do frequently.

122.jpg

It is like bringing a bridge tester along for the ride, of course the seats are going to take a beating as is the shocks and springs.

I do not know a specific weight, but I see some vehicles have a significant amount of seat wear and damage to the point I am honestly puzzled what these people were doing on their seats. Shredded foam cushions, ripped and destroyed leather or fabric seat covers. This tends to extend to the armrests, which are often obliterated.

I can really only conclude either they had a rabid pet bobcat they kept in the car, or they were extremely overweight.

My advice, truly, is no human outside specific amateur or professional athletes or really really tall people should be over 250 lbs. The average male adult should be around 175-200 bills. I suspect that's the design limitations on seats and armrests. Figure the long-term design limits are probably about 225 lbs, max. per seat. You're exceeding that by a huge %. Long term. Two adults in that size are pushing 700 pounds on the car suspension as well.

350 pounds. That would be like stacking 7 fifty pound bags of concrete mix in your passenger seat every day. It's going to destroy the seat.

Car seats are going to be destroyed with 300 and 350 pound people riding on them long term. I would not personally transport people regularly in a car I cared about, absent significant compensation.

ETA: Funny story. My 275 pound friend was dating a 225 pound woman. They literally broke her bedframe. That's 500 pounds on a bed frame probably designed for about 350 pounds.

Last edited:

Ran into that with an obese school bus driver. Absolutely destroyed the seat foam, especially the bolsters. Bostrom air ride sat held up well otherwise.

I do oil changes for a friend who has a 2010 Nissan Frontier that he purchased used. From the original owner, the driver side of the bench seat has long been crushed down and sloping toward the door. He's a slender man, and it doesn't seem to bother him though. If it was me, I would have replaced the seat bottom long ago.

I do not know a specific weight, but I see some vehicles have a significant amount of seat wear and damage to the point I am honestly puzzled what these people were doing on their seats. Shredded foam cushions, ripped and destroyed leather or fabric seat covers. This tends to extend to the armrests, which are often obliterated.

I can really only conclude either they had a rabid pet bobcat they kept in the car, or they were extremely overweight.
I see this with light trucks in particular. A big cause is people keeping tools and other stuff in their back pockets, and also weight and wear from coats (that also have heavy junk in the pockets) brushing the seats.

Look, I'm a heavy guy, but I've never worn and torn a seat like that. And I had a Ford Festiva for years. That seat held up. Probably people slide with all their weight on the seat all the time to get in. It's from laziness or disability.

Back