Driver killed in Silicon Valley Tesla crash was playing video game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by MCompact
Evolution in action!

That's about the size of it. Thank God this moron didn't kill other people with his stupidity.

+1

We know there are people with immeasurable mechanical aptitude. Not just cars but EVERYTHING.

It's amazing sometimes.

This guy was near that camp in a funny way. An engineer who thought "Autopilot" was like in the movies.

Maybe he was smart enough to avoid "easy credit rip-offs" but sure betrayed his depth of knowledge this time.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Here's a story on him:

https://www.minamitamaki.com/huang/

Sorry this guy had to learn the hard way that driving is a responsibility not only to yourself but to others on the road.

Now the lawsuits pop up. Tesla for having a system you should never rely on and CalTrans for not replacing a crash absorber at the end of a concrete barrier. Never mind that the driver was too engrossed in his video game to pay attention as he should have.

The Auto pilot is not that. It is a half baked system at the moment.

Tesla is likey hoping to extract the related data if possible and make their software and team learn what transpired to lead to crash and improve it. The Auto pilot is Beta at best promoting inattention and is calculated risk driver attention will have proper attention to take over.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Takes some very large berries or a very small knoggin to get in that car and put it on auto pilot and not pay attention.

Yup. Who here has actually driven a Tesla with Autopilot and tried it? I have, and it's not very good. Granted they keep updating it and my experience was a couple months ago, but still, it's a novelty, not a reliable thing.

There's absolutely no way I would feel comfortable watching a movie or playing a video game while using Autopilot.

I do agree that Autopilot is a deceptive name.

However, the idiot playing games while driving is still at fault.

I think it takes equal-sized berries on the part of his family to file a lawsuit. Tesla better be inserting some indemnity language into all their sales contracts, because I have a hard time believing that they've ever asserted that it's ok to play on your phone if you have Autopilot engaged. Clearly, tort reform didn't reach far enough if people are still able to succeed in suits like this one. I work in the legal department of a multi-family property management company, so I see ridiculous stuff come through ever day, and this is right up there with the rest of it.

Sincerely hope this case doesn't pay off. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The Auto pilot is not that. It is a half baked system at the moment.

why is it not autopilot? I don't get the hand wringing over the name. I mean, don't flights have to have at least one awake pilot at the controls at all times (2 in the US)?

What's it's not is a fully-autonomous car. They don't claim it to be, near as I can tell: https://www.tesla.com/autopilot https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

I feel terrible for his family, and I don't see a need to pile onto the guy--he paid the ultimate price, and fortunately no one else was killed by his negligence; but the fault seems to fall pretty squarely on the driver as far as I can see.

Yeah it sucks the guy died because of trusting stupidity, but I don't like Tesla or Apple, so no loss there. ANYBODY that thinks AI will ever replace a human brain deserves stupid things such as this to happen. Doesn't matter how evolved things will ever be, I for one will never trust anything totally automated more than my own thought process/reaction.

I wonder if their "autopilot" feature has any fine print pertaining to how autonomous it really is. Such a sad way to lose his life. They were a beautiful couple!

Originally Posted by NISMO_JUNKY
Yeah it sucks the guy died because of trusting stupidity, but I don't like Tesla or Apple, so no loss there.

a bit difficult to take anything you say seriously after a comment like that...

The guy did something really stupid; yes he paid a huge price but what if he had hurt any innocent people?
He took not only his life in his hands but others as well.
Regarding the Tesla AP feature, Tesla states it is not driving the car; that's the driver's responsibility.
Trusting AP with your life is a pretty stupid, irresponsible choice.
Tesla states AP is driver assistance; the driver must be responsive at all times.
Our car reminds the driver every 20 (?) seconds to perform a slight pressure on the steering wheel.
Regarding this accident, I do not believe Tesla is being blamed but it is recommended to improve the driver being alert.
Which is, of course, critical. This accident is a prime example.

Teslas are considered some of the safest cars on the road.
95% of accidents are at least partially due to human error. Like playing video games while driving...
Playing a video game on your cell phone while traveling 70 mph? [censored]?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if their "autopilot" feature has any fine print pertaining to how autonomous it really is. Such a sad way to lose his life. They were a beautiful couple!

From Tesla's website:

Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.

Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.

Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.

Wasn't this the same person who complained to Tesla about it? Thought I read that somewhere...but could be different accident. If he complained why on Earth trust it.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Wasn't this the same person who complained to Tesla about it? Thought I read that somewhere...but could be different accident. If he complained why on Earth trust it.

I believe you are talking about an investor who shorted TSLA at $200.
He bad rapped AP in a vain attempt to stop the bleeding.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by mbacfp

I believe you are talking about an investor who shorted TSLA at $200.
He bad rapped AP in a vain attempt to stop the bleeding.

Ok, thanks Jeff.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Autopilot term should only be used for aviation.

Why is it so? Did they call first dibs on the term?

Autodriver then?

Wait, should I copyright that?

"Chairman Robert Sumwalt said the problem of drivers distracted by smartphones will keep spreading if nothing is done."

This was true over 10 years ago, yet he acts like this statement should be a big revelation for everyone. And nothing has been done... nothing meaningful anyway.

Our laws mean nothing if they are not enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back