Driveability Issues after using Techron

Anyone experience any issues after using Techron? I daily drive an 86 Chevy K20 with a 350/Quadrajet and had been putting a bottle in the gas tank a couple tanks before each oil change. The last two times(six months apart-I change the oil in April and October) I have lost power, developed a bad miss, and it would start spitting out the carb when under light throttle on the highway. If you stand on it it quits coughing. This has gone away after running to below a quarter tank and refilling with just gas both times. I had used it prior to last October the same way and actually had noticeable improvements. I will admit that the carb is in serious need of an overhaul however it is running fine and getting decent mileage for what it is and the amount of tools and equipment I haul in the bed. Any ideas?

That’s strange, I’ve used this in my truck before which is also carbureted and plan to use it in the twin truck I just got too which is also carbureted no issues here to report. In my 2004 Camry it does great but that’s also a fuel injected vehicle. Same with the 2017 Camry as well we use it at every fill up. No issues anywhere on the board for me.

I can reliably trigger a check engine light for P0420 on my Prius by adding techron to the tank. I know that doesn't really mean much for your 350, but I do think it's odd.

Sounds like a lean misfire, probably not related to the techron.
Yes it's a lean misfire for sure. Just trying to correlate the misfire to the Techron. The first time I assumed it was a coincidence but now that it has happened twice in two different times of the year I am getting suspicious. I am not saying the Techron is bad at all but trying to make sense of how my truck reacts to it.

Pop the hood after dark and look for sparkles... could be bad plug wires. If you don't see anything at first, try spraying the wires with a little water to confirm no leaking juice. If that checks out, I'd look for vacuum leaks next.

That’s strange, I’ve used this in my truck before which is also carbureted and plan to use it in the twin truck I just got too which is also carbureted no issues here to report. In my 2004 Camry it does great but that’s also a fuel injected vehicle. Same with the 2017 Camry as well we use it at every fill up. No issues anywhere on the board for me.
Every fill up? I believe Techron limits the recommended use to something less than 5 uses per oil change. Not telling you what to do but you might want to read up on it.

Every fill up? I believe Techron limits the recommended use to something less than 5 uses per oil change. Not telling you what to do but you might want to read up on it.
Oh yeah if it says that I need to read up on it then. My dad said do it so I have been 😂. He will occasionally use that Gumout stuff too but his go to is the Techron. Hope my car isn’t going to blow up 😂.

Yes it's a lean misfire for sure. Just trying to correlate the misfire to the Techron. The first time I assumed it was a coincidence but now that it has happened twice in two different times of the year I am getting suspicious. I am not saying the Techron is bad at all but trying to make sense of how my truck reacts to it.
Its possible the truck is running lean at part throttle, the stoddard solvent in the techron may possibly make it easier to ignite and misfire, not sure.

You are correct it says every oil change or 3,000 miles. Dang well at least it will last longer that way. 🙂

Maybe it's increasing the Octane rating there for the timing is off. I would just quit using any additive and see if the symptoms return.

Since it's a Quadrajet, I would use Berryman B-12 in place of Techron in order to keep all the little passages and jets clean. In my mind (and I could be wrong) Techron is better suited for fuel injection systems and Berryman B-12 is better suited for carburetors

Im using it now since my oil will need to be changed soon. No issues. In fact it makes my engine quieter and gives me a throttle response boost.

In my old car, it did turn my oil gray. But I haven't noticed that recently.

Im using it now since my oil will need to be changed soon. No issues. In fact it makes my engine quieter and gives me a throttle response boost.

In my old car, it did turn my oil gray. But I haven't noticed that recently.
Mine seemed to start easier and idle smoother when I started using it at first. Never checked fuel economy close enough to be able to say there was a difference.

I
Since it's a Quadrajet, I would use Berryman B-12 in place of Techron in order to keep all the little passages and jets clean. In my mind (and I could be wrong) Techron is better suited for fuel injection systems and Berryman B-12 is better suited for carburetors
I used to use Seafoam every 2-3 months and never had any abnormal issues with it. Might save the Techron for the Ranger and grab a can of B12 next time I go to walmart. I have even used Seafoam through a vacuum line on many vehicles with good results.

I

I used to use Seafoam every 2-3 months and never had any abnormal issues with it. Might save the Techron for the Ranger and grab a can of B12 next time I go to walmart. I have even used Seafoam through a vacuum line on many vehicles with good results.
Just realize the seafoam is not much more than alcohol , pale oil , like 75% oil.

I can see the alcohol doing some cleaning, but i prefer not to add that much oil to my fuel.

Last edited:
I second the Berryman recommendation on a Quadrajet. Sounds like there is some dirt in the carburetor. I’ve never used Techron in a carburetor engine. I’m old enough to remember Techroline was Chevrons response to the new EFI systems in the early 80’s that were prone to clogged injectors. Never really thought to use it in a carb.

Back