Drive on SNOWS for ONE "warm day"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see plenty of cars here drive on snows (studded and non-studded) all year around. Doesn't seem to bother them any more than the people that drive on bald tires.
smile.gif

The makers of dedicated winter tires are well aware that those tires will experience most of their use on dry roads with many of those miles at temperatures well above freezing, so a day of warmish weather isn't going to destroy them.
Dedicated winters really are remarkably good for the few days out of the year that you actually need them.
Wanna transform an Accord into something close to a Subaru in bad winter conditions?
Put a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on it. The snow and ice performance is amazing.
Any other time, these are no more than squirmy, squishy tires and most of your winter drive time will be spent putting up with their dry road shortcomings.
This is the reason that I prefer good AS tires all year round.
The compromises involved with using dedicated winter tires are just too great for most of the miles driven.
What if your winter tires enable your to avoid an accident that you might have gotten into on AS tires?
What if your winter tires cause you to have a dry road accident that you would have avoided with the better handling and braking a decent AS tire gives?

Have you heard about winter performance tires?
Something like Blizzak LM series (they are very different tires from WS, usually).

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Have you heard about winter performance tires?
Something like Blizzak LM series (they are very different tires from WS, usually).

Krzys

I had LM 60 on VW CC. Were good tires, but still more oriented toward hardcore snow performance.
Bridgestone has some LM series here that they are bringing from Europe, but generally they are rated average there (as all Bridgestone winter tires are).

Yeah, I think that the term "performance winter tire" is an oxymoron.
Not really any such thing.
Winters are by nature not really all that good on the dry roads that you'll spend most of your winter miles driving.
This is the downside of winter tires as far as I can see.
You do get superior snow and ice performance but you also get inferior dry road performance.
There is no free lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back