Drive In Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
It sounds like your area has stopped in time. The drive ins were going away 50 years ago.

The car culture is still huge here. Plus not everyone likes the way things are changing. The drive in near me in Barstow,CA is just a couple blocks off of old route 66.

Thousands of people travel 66 every year just to see the old relics and small towns. Barstow was a turning point for the Okies during the depression/ dust storm days. They had to choose if they were going to go west to bakers field or south to San Bernardino/ Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Chris142
They don't have the speakers on sticks anymore. They broadcast it to your car radio.

Even back in the 70's they broadcast it.
It was on AM back then (few cars had FM).
ours got rid of the speakers on sticks about 12 yrs ago! I remember going to the drive in ,in Victorville with Mom and Dad in the late 70's and they had speakers on sticks then.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/16304

Still several left here.

Screenshot_20190915-093721.png

Last edited:
There is a drive in , in Parma idaho . I haven't been to a drive in for 48 years, though I remember it well.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
We have 1 ironically in the town that the wifey and I moved to, but we haven't gone yet.

Also, I'm too [censored] old for a double feature that starts at 9pm.

In my hometown near I-80 there is still the moon lite drive in. It has one screen though
frown.gif

Last drive-in movie was about 1962 in Albuquerque. Cactus Drive-In on south Yale Blvd. One of the first drive ins in city. Saw "On The Beach" about nuclear war. Australia was last to experience radiation poisoning and government had distributed cyanide capsules to populace. Astaire chose to end it by sitting in his race car and revving the engine. Theme song was "Waltzing Matilda."

There was still an old school three screen drive in movie theater in Warwick NY near the boarder it shares with Vernon NJ, not a bad town to kill an evening in honestly.

Used to go to the drive in when I was a teen in the early 60's. My windows were always too fogged up to see the movies though.

Went to see Ben Hur with the Prom Queen at The "Family Drive In" Espy Pennsylvania.

Good name for the place...you could take your family, or start one right there!

Originally Posted by Driz
I got to grow up with the drive-in theater right across the road in the 1960s. I got into see all of them for free and it was a fantastic perk for a young kid. Too bad they're all gone now most left northern New York in the 1970s and early 80s. I would assume it was probably skyhigh property taxes versus the seasonality of the business that did them in . Then videos came along and finished the job. The last time I saw a movie at the drive-in was Dirty Dancing must've been in 1988 or 89 .

There's still one in black river, and one in Alexandria bay.

Wow! I never knew these were going away. We have one a few miles away and another 20 miles away. been going to them most of my life. I remember when it was $5 a car load.

Nice nice we have them here too.
Lots of good memories and very few bad memories for me. Most can't be posted here.

Originally Posted by Linctex
They don't have the speakers on sticks anymore. They broadcast it to your car radio.

Even back in the 70's they broadcast it.
It was on AM back then (few cars had FM).
ours got rid of the speakers on sticks about 12 yrs ago! I remember going to the drive in ,in Victorville with Mom and Dad in the late 70's and they had speakers on sticks then.

They Went away for a lot of good reasons. First off they were pretty tiny sounding by today's standards. The main reason though was people forgetting to put them back in driving off. Some of them even cut the cord with knives and stole them. They would rip off and sometimes break the window. It happened a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back