drill press grease question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a variable speed powermatic drill press and as I rotate the wheel to change speeds I feel like can feel each tooth interact with eathother and it isnt as smooth as it should be. I called Powermatic customer care and he said that I can apply some bearing or white lithium grease to the rails and gears to help it glide better.

My question is which brand/model/type should I choose that works best for this situation?

Right now im choosing between Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease, Lucas Oil 10533 White Lithium Grease and a few other. However, ive seen people mention Moly grease and others as quality stuff, but wonder if that is the same as the aforementioned greases. I don't mind spending whatever (under $50 lol) to get the best or even just better.

The manual only states "It is good maintenance practice to periodically clean the pulleys with a non-penetrating lubricant, such as WD-40, wipe off any excess, then apply a light oil to the pulley shafts. NOTE: Do not use graphite- or silicone-based lubricants. - Link below for help if needed

That's for the pulleys, but doesn't say anything about the gears or rails or whatever. So this is all Chinese to me and I'm asking for guidance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

http://go.rockler.com/tech/Powermatic-1-HP-Drill-Press-PM2800B-Manual.pdf

The problem with grease and drill presses is metal chips and metal dust, if it gets in the greased you have a real problem with wear and binding.
I have a older commercial unit and its only ever been lubed with an old school oil can with 30 weight and it works as slick as the day it was new.

If you look between the chuck and quill you will notice a rubber seal that protects the spindle gear, but when in operation the spindle gear is fully exposed. Dont kill it with kindness, give it a good wipe down with oil and wipe the excess away and its done.

I only do woodworking, there will never be any metal near it. Also i wouldn't be greasing the spindle the bits rotate on, but instead the tracks the pulleys move on and the slide block/lead screw that changes the pulleys speeds.

you can see the tracks the pulley moves on this picture on the lower right

7fp7WYT.jpg

Would that info alter your recommendation?

Last edited:
For similar applications I use motorcycle chain “wax” in a spray can. It’s formulated to be a good lubricant while not attracting sawdust like grease does.

Never though of that, good one! I only do metal work, my press rarely sees more than 640 rpm. I couldn't work a piece of wood good enough to make my own coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back