Drill Press Belt

Old belt is a Gates 1340 - which seems to be 3L340 belt. It's obviously non critical to change and also easy enough to change.
Any reason not to get the cheap generic belt off eBay for $4.26, or should I get a Dayco 3L340 off rock Auto for $7.01???

Is the Dayco belt made in USA or anything? That would be reason enough to get it, but I can't look at ti first to verify.

Either way it's mail order only. Local stores don't seem to stock. If it matters, there is a LOT of adjustment available in this drill press so if a slightly shorter or longer belt is cheaper, I can use it.

I have a Delta drill press that is about 20 years old. There are 3 series of pullies of different sizes and tenstions. On my unit the belt fit is not anything precise. If yours is similar you can use any decent belt and be a ok.

Yes, it has the three pulley think (one pulley with 3 sizes on it). And the distance between the motor and drill chuck is adjustable.

Ok so you have a dearth of play to deal with. For mine, the belt grip meant more than the size. If you run it on the pulleys it will tell you if it's slipping. If slipping no go. If not slipping a ok.

For what it's worth, I changed out the 3 belts on my planer and the belt on my 8" Delta jointer with linked belts. Great system but I wouldn't think I'd see a benefit with the Delta Drill Press set up.

Unless it is free shipping from the e-bay, your local NAPA should be able to get any belt you give them the part no. for and there will be no question about quality, and if the e-bay one cost shipping NAPA may be cheaper. They may not have it in the store, but they almost always get them in one day.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the belt on your drill press till it breaks which it may never do. It's a fractional HP application so if you are determined (it sounds like you are) to change it, I would go with the lowest priced belt I could find.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the belt on your drill press till it breaks which it may never do. It's a fractional HP application so if you are determined (it sounds like you are) to change it, I would go with the lowest priced belt I could find.

Yes fractional hp. The old belt is chewed up, and somewhat stuff. Several decades old.

A dearth of play? Dearth means lack of something.

Drill presses, at least my two, have a lot of play. A surfeit of play, perhaps?

I’ve fitted of mine with link belts. Huge improvement in smoothness. Have a linked belt on my tablesaw, too. Huge improvement on that machine, too.

Won’t ever go back to regular belts on power tools.

I don't know equipment belts but I know car belts and lawn equipment belts. The only lawn equipment belts, mowers, snowblowers, other, belts that I use are Pix and D&D Power for their longevity but more importantly their size accuracy.

Old belt is a Gates 1340 - which seems to be 3L340 belt. It's obviously non critical to change and also easy enough to change.
Any reason not to get the cheap generic belt off eBay for $4.26, or should I get a Dayco 3L340 off rock Auto for $7.01???

Is the Dayco belt made in USA or anything? That would be reason enough to get it, but I can't look at ti first to verify.

Either way it's mail order only. Local stores don't seem to stock. If it matters, there is a LOT of adjustment available in this drill press so if a slightly shorter or longer belt is cheaper, I can use it.
Gates seems to be Hencho En Mexico

Carlisle / Timken looks to be made in the USA

Back