Drawbacks of high detergent oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any drawbacks of high detergent oils?

And, is it true that with high detergent oil, the oil color will turn black faster?
Does this mean the oil should be replaced?

Not practically for the vast majority of motorists.
If high detergent oil is put in an engine that is dirty inside, it will turn black faster. If there is nothing to clean, it won't.
It doesn't necessarily mean the oil should be replaced when it turns black. It just means that the oil is doing its job. To really know when to change oil takes a few oil analyses, but most people don't want to take the time, money, and effort to do that.

detergents compete some with the tribo layer additives for the surface of the metal, and cause thinner films according to some papers.

Nothing really to worry about in real life.

WRT going darker faster, as A Harman pointed out, the dirt has to be there first...but also the oil will hold more of it than with a lower level of detergency.

For me, I'd change oil when it gets very dark. It's holding more and more contaminants and when black you can't tell anymore how much more it can handle. Oil is cheap and the life blood of an expensive engine. Dan Mpls. Mn.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
For me, I'd change oil when it gets very dark. It's holding more and more contaminants and when black you can't tell anymore how much more it can handle. Oil is cheap and the life blood of an expensive engine. Dan Mpls. Mn.

I'd need some evidence that doubling or tripling my lubrication expenses actual returns something.

There are ways of measuring suitability of oil to continue its use, and that seems like a far more practical approach.

I have noticed that my synthetic oil gets darker faster in cars with aluminum heads and iron blocks, than all aluminum or all iron. Maybe due to some corrosion/dielectric properties?

I used to have a older Impala with aluminum heads and an iron block and oil turned dark fast.

I have to acknowledge that I often chuckle about folks that worry about the 'expense' of oil changes. Of course, I'm an old school guy who does most himself and seen the insides of many engines, but a guy will proudly trumpet the great deal on the new bling chromey wheels or whatever, but not want to change the oil too much. I do expect that with the gals as few are tech/mech savy and all about looks of things

I must admit, I do not stay awake at night thinking of my oil turning dark as I drive down the road,,,is there more to life then that?? but then again, I am perfect.............lol.

Don't ever buy a diesel. You'll never get it back off of the jackstands.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Don't ever buy a diesel. You'll never get it back off of the jackstands.

Haha! Was thinking the same thing!

Originally Posted By: Spetz

They produce higher ash levels. Whether or not this is a problem depends on your operation and equipment, but it can be a drawback.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I have noticed that my synthetic oil gets darker faster in cars with aluminum heads and iron blocks, than all aluminum or all iron. Maybe due to some corrosion/dielectric properties?

I used to have a older Impala with aluminum heads and an iron block and oil turned dark fast.

I've been servicing 2 vehicles from new with aluminum heads and iron blocks. Both run in the 8,500+ OCI range with synthetic oil and the oil always comes out a darker amber color. Even the one that gets changed in the 24 month OCI is still a darker amber. Looking in the oil fill the valve train is almost spotless.

Whimsey

ya ya-diesel is that different world that I don't frequent! I remember the sales/marketing guys around 1970 and 'Royal Triton' motor oil. The stuff was dyed purple and looked like used diesel oil about right away. I recall Havoline that I used some years ago that was mostly clear and some others that were kinda dark to begin with

What is a high detergent oil?

What is not a high detergent oil?

All GF-5 motor oils are about equal in detergency. There might be a few that are a sliver higher, and there are very likely some that are marketed as being higher.

"A piston cleanliness test is required as piston deposits can get behind and around the piston rings, which can cause the rings to stick and be sluggish. As a result, the deposits in the ring area displace gas which is required for ring pressurization. When deposits get behind and around piston rings, a lack of compression occurs. This usually results in increased emissions, decreased fuel economy, and decreased performance.

"A piston cleanliness test is also required because deposits can build on the piston crown causing pre ignition. Deposits can also build up on the piston undercrown, which increases piston temperature. Both can result in decreased performance.

"To address this issue, the Sequence IIIG engine test was developed to evaluate high temperature deposits. The Sequence IIIG test is an oil thickening and piston deposit test run under high-temperature/high load conditions."

http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/performance/

All the top brand oils are interchangeable. Your engine won't know a difference. Use whichever brand helps you sleep well at night.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: Spetz

They produce higher ash levels. Whether or not this is a problem depends on your operation and equipment, but it can be a drawback.

The reason why you see many oils of late with low calcium levels is because the newer detergents are ashless and don't show up in a VOA.

The less the metallic content in an oil the lower the ash content and deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back