Drano safe for pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Drano safe for pipes? I have used it before at a previous house and had success with it. We have a tub that seems to slowly be clogging up and I'm going to need to do something soon. I believe I've heard that Drano - at least a lot of it - can do more harm than good.

Thanks. (And sorry if this could have been in a better forum.)

It's more corrosive on certain materials like Brass or Copper, but has little to no effect on PVC/ABS piping. (Used to work in Condo management and we banned it from being used by owners in the buildings because it ate sections of pipe from some owners using it regularly as "maintenance")

That being said, this is a "Quick Fix" and should only be used if you need a "Quick Fix"

If you have the time to do it right, use a snake, or disassemble the drain area and clean manually. (if you have access)

Remember, there is always a cost for convenience!
wink.gif

One of the best things I've ever purchased has been something I saw a couple years ago at HD. It's a thin, flexible 24" plastic drain cleaning tool that has barbs along both sides. All you do is push this down your drain and pull it back out several times, cleaning it off each time. You will be amazed at how much hair and junk you get out. I think it was about 3 or 4 dollars. I wish everything was this cheap and worked this well.

Thanks for the tips. I may go see if I can find that tool. I had a water issue 2 years ago and it was a miserable experience. A $4 tool sounds better than something that could potentially cause me more grief!

I continuously battle semiclogged pipes in my bathroom - sink and tub. I've learned to deal with it by dragging the garden hose with nozzle inside the house, and blast away at the drains. I do this a few times a year. It beats using chemicals or taking things apart.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

One of the best things I've ever purchased has been something I saw a couple years ago at HD. It's a thin, flexible 24" plastic drain cleaning tool that has barbs along both sides. All you do is push this down your drain and pull it back out several times, cleaning it off each time. You will be amazed at how much hair and junk you get out. I think it was about 3 or 4 dollars. I wish everything was this cheap and worked this well.

It's called a Zip It, works awesome on tub and sink clogs!

http://zipitclean.com/index.php
new_package.jpg

While Drano works I try my best to avoid using it. I've found the Zip-It tool to be the best $2 investment I've made in a long time.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
You will be amazed at how much hair and junk you get out.

I can't wait to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back